• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doubt over effect of wind farm on swans (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

English Nature Press Release

EN/04/52 11 October 2004

Doubt over effect of wind farm on swans - English Nature and RSPB give evidence to public inquiry

English Nature has joined forces with the RSPB to advise the public inquiry into a proposed wind farm development at Romney Marsh, Kent, which gets underway on Tuesday (October 12).

Developers NPower Renewables want to build 26 wind turbines near to the Dungeness to Pett Level Special Protection Area (SPA) which is used by thousands of wild birds to breed and feed. According to the two conservation organisations, the birds could collide with these turbines if they are built on or near areas where the birds tend to feed.

Both English Nature and the RSPB believe the developers have failed to demonstrate that the development will not have a detrimental effect on internationally important wildlife sites if the wind farm goes ahead. Birds such as Bewick’s swan, shoveler, bittern, golden plover, gadwall and hen harrier could be at risk as they are attracted to feed on arable fields and water bodies near to the wind turbines. Because of their size Bewick’s swans find it difficult to swerve to avoid hitting overhead power lines and have even been known to collide with buildings in foggy conditions.

Both organisations support the generation of electricity from renewable sources and we are not anti-development. However it is vital that wind farms do not damage important wildlife sites either directly or indirectly and are sited appropriately, taking into account advice about impacts on international wildlife sites.

Teresa Bennett, English Nature’s Kent team manager, said: “It is up to the developers to prove that there will be no risk to the thousands of birds that rely on Romney Marsh. We don’t think they have been able to demonstrate this and want to make sure beautiful birds like the Bewick’s swans are not put at risk.”

Chris Corrigan, Regional Director for the RSPB added: “Conservation efforts in the last 11 years have created a very rich feeding and roosting area for more than 20,000 waterfowl and birds of prey. The windfarm could cancel out all the years of progress made by local landowners and threaten an internationally important population of birds.”

Notes for editors
English Nature is the Government’s independent wildlife advisor that champions biodiversity and geology throughout England.

The windfarm site is in the vicinity of a section of the Dungeness to Pett Level Special Protection Area (SPA), which holds large populations of wintering waterfowl including Bewick’s swan, shoveler, bittern, golden plover and gadwall, and concentrations of birds of prey such as hen harrier. The special protection area is a site of European importance for migratory birds.

cheers Chris

a tough one

still, i'd rather get em built and take it from there. I really feel strongly that we have to get moving with wind farms etc and promote the alternative energy agenda before it's too late.

We can live without a few birds - if the predictions are right and we don't address the issues there won't be any birds left worth talking about and life will be pretty grim indeed.

I would rather they didn't. Why a wind farm? Why here? Wave power has got to be preferable. It's less hit and miss - in terms of both birds and power generation.

Chris Monk said:
English Nature Press Release

EN/04/52 11 October 2004

The windfarm site is in the vicinity of a section of the Dungeness to Pett Level Special Protection Area (SPA).
Can someone enlighten me as to why it's not just a case of moving the windfarm further away? I'm sure it's not as simple as that but I'd like to be educated as to why.

Bluetail said:
I would rather they didn't. Why a wind farm? Why here? Wave power has got to be preferable. It's less hit and miss - in terms of both birds and power generation.

I find it bizarre that birders get up set about this planned wind farm, but seem to love the (far more dangerous and environmentally damaging) nuclear power station just up t'road. Because it attracts birds.....

Wave power will get everyone on their high horses too, I imagine. It'll mess up the coast line, kill seals etc. You wait!.

I'm with Tim on this one. Wind power and solar power seams to be the only alternative energy sources that we have the technology 100% sorted. I'm all for any alternative energy supplies, as a world our demand for electricity keeps on going up and up, I would rather see 100 wind turbines on my doorstep than a coal, oil, or nuclear powered station any ware.

"I really feel strongly that we have to get moving with wind farms etc and promote the alternative energy agenda before it's too late."

Yes, and remember, in the construction stage of these wind farms, the CO2 produced is only nulified after 20 years of continual use of each turbine, in comparison to fossil fuel produced energy. Hope the wind stays up!!
Information taken from the scientific community, on which so many rely on.
Hope they run longer than 20 years boys.
Keep up the good work.

Regards

Malky

Bluetail said:
I don't see why wave power should be any danger to seals and they're considerably less visually intrusive than wind farms (though I don't think much of the floating tube version):
http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/wave.htm

Much of the literature I've read about marine power mentions the need for further research on the impact on marine life, quite simply not enough is known. Undoubtedly there will be some issues, after all few people foresaw the problems with windfarms and birds, and some high profile individuals have done dramatic U-turns on the matter. There is no miraculous source of energy that will be clean and have no ill effects, its a matter of selecting the overall least damaging. Personally I don't see a few Swans meeting untimely ends as hugely significent in the overall scheme of things, but I can understand why others do.

I read an advert in a Scottish magazine that was offering land-owners £7000 per turbine per year (for 25 years) for allowing electricity companies to erect turbines on their land. That works out at a heck of a lot of money for 'free power'. No wonder there are so many applications to consider.

Steve

Steve Lister said:
I read an advert in a Scottish magazine that was offering land-owners £7000 per turbine per year (for 25 years) for allowing electricity companies to erect turbines on their land. That works out at a heck of a lot of money for 'free power'. No wonder there are so many applications to consider.

Steve

And in the same magazine was an article presenting a lot of reasons against the development of wind farms. According to it, the saving in CO2 (don't know how to do a subscript 2) is cancelled out by the production of it caused by making and erecting the turbines and constructing their bases and service roads! And conventional power stations have to be kept on stand-by for when the turbines are unable to produce electricity, ie when out of action or when the wind is too low or too high.

Steve

Now Tim (I guess!) follows me down the Acle Straight to work every morning! So he'll be able to confirm that the 'wind farm' on Scroby Sands has never yet worked to even 70% capacity! Since it was opened, the most turbines I've seen turning has been 13 out of 20-odd! And on windy days ( which happen a lot here!) they are ALL stationary! I'm with Ol' Bluetail! Tidal and wave power! I remember seeing a barrage of Salter Ducks on Loch Ness in the 70's! They were a quarter scale test rig, but worked really well!

"That argument is a red herring"

The only thing "fishy" about this is the lack of overall knowledge you have on the subject.
Try a little education and research before you try to educate others.
As the saying goes "dinna tell your grannie how to sook eggs".

Regards

Malky.

David Bryant said:
I'm with Ol' Bluetail! Tidal and wave power!
Hey, David, steady on with the tidal power! There may be benign versions, but a quarter of a century ago there was talk about using it in the Severn Estuary. The barrage that was proposed would have reduced the tidal fall to something like a quarter of it natural range with a corresponding loss of the mudflats. It would have meant the loss of thousands of waders.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back