• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Makasutu and Kartong (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
Could people please share their experience of these two sites from a birders point of view, please? We won't be staying at Makasutu - just want to know whether it's worth a trip for the birds or is it more for the tourist who wants stuff laid on for them. We have visited The Gambia before but not for a long time. Thanks.

For Makasutu, have a look at this thread and my trip report - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=160346
..I'm pretty sure a few areas open to staying guests are off-limits to day visitors, but I reckon it's probably worth a look, depends what you're after. One plus is the complete absence of bumsters (although I gather they're not as bad as they once were?).

Thanks, Mark. Sounds like a fantastic place to stay but as usual we've gone for the cheapest hotel available and a trip down memory lane. Well, upriver to be more exact!! Tendaba etc. :)
I have heard that the bumsters are not as bad as they were. Time will tell! The very first time we went I vowed I would never set foot in the country again, I hated it so much. The birds were too big a magnet though!

Did three nights at Makasutu (Mandina Lodge) in Nov: you can bird 'off resort' on your own in the cultural forest: transport will obviously be needed to reach the site as it's some way off the principal routes......plenty of weaver, woodpecker sp, plus African green pigeon, Levaillant's cuckoo, white shouldered black tit, village indigobird, waxbills, northern puffback, oriole warbler, turacos (both), white helmet-shrike, stone partridge, ahanta francolin, yellow-throated leaflove, etc plus many of the others in Mark's report. Probably most stuff you could get elsewhere but there's a good variety in a comparatively small area: however, I believe the resort does receive day visitors and next to the river there are mouse brown sunbird, tawny eagle-goliath is 'pretty easy'-pelicans, and shining blue kingfisher (plus the other kingfishers). White throated bee-eater and pied winged swallow are regular at the resort but I don't think river trips are offered to non residents.

Spent a morning at Kartong a few weeks ago (05/01/14). Hundreds of White-faced Whistling-Duck, African Fish-Eagle & lots more. The sort of place that can turn up all sorts e.g. Northern Carmine Bee-eater reported a week later. Colin Cross has a house with a private hide and cold drinks. Recently he's had Hudsonian Whimbrel (1st African mainland record), Eurasian Coot and lots more. See: http://www.kartongbirdobservatory.org/

Kartong

I spent a morning at Kartong and had good views of African Pigmy Goose and lots of bee-eater species. A shining Blue Kingfisher was also reported when I was there in November, but there was a bit of scepticism about this.

Gambia

Could people please share their experience of these two sites from a birders point of view, please? We won't be staying at Makasutu - just want to know whether it's worth a trip for the birds or is it more for the tourist who wants stuff laid on for them. We have visited The Gambia before but not for a long time. Thanks.

more than worth it ! I spent several months surveying the area rains 2013
goodluck CliveRB

hudsonian whimbrel ? is there a specimen ? or was the bird trapped etc - I have images of a heavily barred rumped Gambian bird from a skin whose bios did not comply after discssions with experts elsewhere .. bws CliveRB

hudsonian whimbrel ? is there a specimen ? or was the bird trapped etc - I have images of a heavily barred rumped Gambian bird from a skin whose bios did not comply after discssions with experts elsewhere .. bws CliveRB

.. am I in the right place to request images of harrier spp - if you wish to help contrib to a new book pls get in touch via email birdsofthegambia 'at' hotmail.com thanks CRB

Hi Clive,
I heard about the Hudsonian Whimbrel from Colin Cross, when I spent a morning at Kartong (5th Jan, 2014).
Couple of Harrier pics from Kartong: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppy1951/12569698895/in/set-72157640245776115 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppy1951/12569826553/in/set-72157640245776115/
I last saw you when you were at The Atlantic and I spent a week with you up river in Nov. 1996. I'm the Welsh bloke who enjoyed a meal at your flat and took pics of your Village Indigo birds. I hope you are keeping well!
Allan

Hi Clive,
I heard about the Hudsonian Whimbrel from Colin Cross, when I spent a morning at Kartong (5th Jan, 2014).
Couple of Harrier pics from Kartong: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppy1951/12569698895/in/set-72157640245776115 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppy1951/12569826553/in/set-72157640245776115/
I last saw you when you were at The Atlantic and I spent a week with you up river in Nov. 1996. I'm the Welsh bloke who enjoyed a meal at your flat and took pics of your Village Indigo birds. I hope you are keeping well!
Allan

Allan - pls gt in touch direct on birdsofthegambia 'at' hotmail.com live nr Tanji now .. you shold have got in touch bws Clive

Back from our travels! We clocked up 294 species in 10 days :). Of these, 71 were new to us in The Gambia and 24 were lifers.
We went to Kartong. Didn't see the Hudsonian whimbrel or maybe we did? Would have had to flush them all to find out which one it was! Dipped on the Audouins but got the Black-headed gulls.
Passed on Makasuto.
Will be posting my report as soon as I have finished writing it.
Thanks all!

visited kartong last Thursday,cracking reserve and well worth a visit,amongst the better birds there was still 6 carmine beeeaters in the area.we also saw a female black bellied bustard,grey headed kingfisher,pygmy kingfisher,african crake and short toed eagle,long crested eagle and a all black gabar goshawk,and a special thanks to colin for his hospitality

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back