• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooper Swans at Welney WWT. (1 Viewer)

From my visit last month:
Whooper Swans filmed from the main hide at the Welney Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust Reserve in Norfolk.

Link:

http://youtu.be/BnsCf-WsIi4

Nice video of the Whoopers. Remember seeing them at Slimbridge a couple of years ago during feeding time Nov/Dec time, and they are a great sight to see.

We planned to go to Welney at Xmas time last year, but due to car problems we decided we had to go home instead.

There will be a trip in the future sometime. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Enjoyed the vid. Now have motion sickness! Thank for sharing. Was at Welney in late Dec. and impressed with the sheer numbers of pochard (6000+) and 90% males, 10,000 black tailed godwit and amounts of lapwings just too many to count (15,000+)
Cheers,
Jono

Nice video of the Whoopers. Remember seeing them at Slimbridge a couple of years ago during feeding time Nov/Dec time, and they are a great sight to see.

We planned to go to Welney at Xmas time last year, but due to car problems we decided we had to go home instead.

There will be a trip in the future sometime. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Far more likely to have been Bewick's at Slimbridge

These are the only photos I have of my trip to Slimbridge on the 19th December 2010

These are Bewicks for definate, and a mixed bag of everything else

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 409.JPG
    409.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 417.JPG
    417.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 431.JPG
    431.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 450.JPG
    450.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Swans

Hi Kathy,

I've altered the exposure of your photos so you can see them better I hope that's okay. :t:

WWT Welney is a superb reserve to visit and well worth the trip, seeing the swans fly in approx 1 hour to feeding is worth it alone and the evocative calls of wigeon and sightings of pintail for me, make it one of GB's special places for nature.

Attachments

• bewicks-1.1web.jpg
    bewicks-1.1web.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 34
  • bewicks2.2web.jpg
    bewicks2.2web.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 37
  • feeding1web.jpg
    feeding1web.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 33
  • slimbridge1.1web.jpg
    slimbridge1.1web.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
Hi Kathy,

I've altered the exposure of your photos so you can see them better I hope that's okay. :t:

WWT Welney is a superb reserve to visit and well worth the trip, seeing the swans fly in approx 1 hour to feeding is worth it alone and the evocative calls of wigeon and sightings of pintail for me, make it one of GB's special places for nature.

That is alright BN - the daylight was going, so I took the photos at that point of the day. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Swans

Hi Kathy, one of your pics shows a bewick with a yellow neck collar with number 966A in black letters.

I've had a look on cr-birding.net website and there is a reference to Bewick's Swans wearing yellow neck collars being part of a study in the Netherllands.

"Yellow neckring with a black 4 alpha-numeric code (three numbers and one letter)." Situated approx. 3/4 down the page

http://www.cr-birding.org/taxonomy/term/2231

966A is one of those birds from the look of it. Very interesting.

Attachments

• bewicks2.2web.jpg
    bewicks2.2web.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 31
Hi Kathy, one of your pics shows a bewick with a yellow neck collar with number 966A in black letters.

I've had a look on cr-birding.net website and there is a reference to Bewick's Swans wearing yellow neck collars being part of a study in the Netherllands.

"Yellow neckring with a black 4 alpha-numeric code (three numbers and one letter)." Situated approx. 3/4 down the page

http://www.cr-birding.org/taxonomy/term/2231

966A is one of those birds from the look of it. Very interesting.

Hi BN it is interesting.

I do not remember reporting the bird at the time to show where I did see it to the Netherlands bodies

http://www.cr-birding.org/node/151

Would it be any use now, or is iot a little late in the day.

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy,

If you have all the details of where and when you saw it, then yes, it would still be useful to let them know even though it is retrospective from being 2010.

Also, even though you saw this bird at WWT Slimbridge and chances are, they've submitted records of this bird, if it were me, I'd still send the record just in case.

I'm sure that The Netherlands Institute of Ecology would be very interested to hear from you (maybe you could 'enclose' your photo of the bird with your email to them too.) The Institute says on the cr-birding website: " is extremely interested in observing their foraging behaviour during the winter, as well as their migration patterns throughout the rest of the year."

:t:

Hi Kathy,

If you have all the details of where and when you saw it, then yes, it would still be useful to let them know even though it is retrospective from being 2010.

Also, even though you saw this bird at WWT Slimbridge and chances are, they've submitted records of this bird, if it were me, I'd still send the record just in case.

I'm sure that The Netherlands Institute of Ecology would be very interested to hear from you (maybe you could 'enclose' your photo of the bird with your email to them too.) The Institute says on the cr-birding website: " is extremely interested in observing their foraging behaviour during the winter, as well as their migration patterns throughout the rest of the year."

:t:

Thank you :t:

I will contact them asap, and send the photo. Will remember if I ses any other Swans with a thick neck ring piece I know what to do :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back