• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong Hotels? (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
Hi All,

Marie and I are planning a 4/5 day stopover in Hong Kong in September, returning from UK to Australia. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced accomodation fairly close to good birding areas. We've been told that the Regal Riverside at Sha Tin is popular with birders but seems rather expensive,
Would appreciate any feedback (directly by Private Message if possible)

Tom

Tom Tarrant said:
Hi All,

Marie and I are planning a 4/5 day stopover in Hong Kong in September, returning from UK to Australia. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced accomodation fairly close to good birding areas. We've been told that the Regal Riverside at Sha Tin is popular with birders but seems rather expensive,
Would appreciate any feedback (directly by Private Message if possible)

Tom

Its a long time since I was there but you cold stay at Mai Po itself in those days, a bit like an observatory set up. For actual hotels Sha-tin is the best situated town.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Sounds like Mai Po has been closed due to the bird-flu problem, so I doubt whether the hostel will be still open. Looks like we will have to forego the waders for bush-birding.
Tom

Tom,
I haven't forgotten about your trip. You could try the Hotel Metropole(www.metropole.com.hk ) but it mostly caters for Mainland tourists. The YMCA in Kowloon is around HK$880 for a standard room (about 30 mins by cab to Mai Po ). The Regal Riverside at Shatin is the most central for the New Territories birding. There are some cheap,backpacker hostels on Lamma Island from HK$200 per night but then you have a 25 mins ferry ride to HK to catch a bus/train to the New Territories (45 mins). Mai Po should be open by the time you get here and would be the best value to stay at least 1 night there (I pay HK$300 for a room. I'm not sure what the double rate would be ). If you need more info let me know, Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back