• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is this little bird? (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

This little bird finally sat still for a whole 20 seconds... time enough to get off 4-5 shots. Now I'm trying to ID it, but can't quite figure it out.

At first I thought Vireo - but there's no wing bars. Secondly I thought (female) Common Yellowthroat, but the legs look more greyish than pinkish. Thirdly, I could be completely way off.

What do you think... and why? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2127a.jpg
    IMG_2127a.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2134a.jpg
    IMG_2134a.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 297
LzyPhotographer said:
This little bird finally sat still for a whole 20 seconds... time enough to get off 4-5 shots. Now I'm trying to ID it, but can't quite figure it out.

At first I thought Vireo - but there's no wing bars. Secondly I thought (female) Common Yellowthroat, but the legs look more greyish than pinkish. Thirdly, I could be completely way off.

What do you think... and why? Thanks in advance!

I'm probably way off, too :), but my first impression was a young female Virginia's warbler (Vermivora virginiae). The Virginias we have in NE AZ on migration have more yellow underneath and a more pronounced eye ring, but you can still see the beginnings of both in this bird. The thing that convinces me is the yellow below and above the base of the tail, but the things that unconvince me are the yellow way up under the chin rather than just on the breast, and the greenish, not gray, wings. Which makes me think it's actually a young female Nashville warbler (Vermivora ruficapilla), which is far more likely if this photo was taken where you live (although there are a few records of Virginia's there).

Or possibly neither of the above! :)

Very nice photos, BTW!

Last edited:
immature common yellowthroat?

i'm rather new to id'ing birds, but i think you're pretty close w/ the common yellowthroat, either female and/or immature.

there is a resemblance of a pale gray to buff eye ring in your pics, and the yellow upper breast/throat/chin matches.

there's a pic online similar from:
Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter under common yellowthroat:
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/Photo/Images/h6810p4.jpg
also this pic looks similar too:
http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/DesJardin/CommonYellowthroat(DD).jpg

just a matter of time before the experts login and give us a hand :)

I'd join Katy with a vote for Nashville Warbler.

Greeny/yellow wing panel, throat up to chin, undertail covers, and contrast between head and mantle (in the 1st pic at least) all look good for that sp.

PP

Must admit that I'm only seeing a very slight contrast between mantle and nape (and then only the first picture). The head and mantle actually look a pretty uniform greeny brown to me, with very little in the way of grey tones (just a touch on the nape but not the whole head). There's also not much of a white eye-ring (a bit but it's diffuse and incomplete). One point in favour of Nashville, which I hadn't noticed before, is that in the second picture there appears to be yellow extending on to the uppertail. A couple of further points against is that it seems a bit long-tailed and long-billed. I've only ever seen one Nashville though, so I may well be out on these!

.. and I think the legs are OK for Yellowthroat, and the eye-ring too weak for Nashville. I think it's the cheeks that are greying in, not the whole head.

The rather dumpy, big-headed shape reminds me of Yellowthroat too. Of the other possibilities I've only seen Nashville, and that didn't strike me as having that character, more 'normal warbler shape'.

Michael

I think it's fair to say that notwithstanding the quality of the pics,this is a difficult one.It doesn't completely fit any of the previous suggestions in my opinion.
Yellowthroat comes nearest on shape as Michael says.

I defer to EVERYbody when it comes to warblers. (Actually, most birds, truth be told...) :)

Here are scans of photos Dunn & Garrett's "Warblers" (I'm sure Kimball won't mind for educational purposes). Don't know how true my scans will be to the photos, but they'll at least show shapes.

Lzy, if you don't get a consensus on this ID, you might want to contact Kimball Garrett at the LA County Mus. of Nat. Hist. where he's the curator for birds (sorry, don't know his official title). I'll dig out his email addy if you'd like. He's a great guy and is very responsive to all kinds of birding questions.

Attachments

• COYE - ad female.jpg
    COYE - ad female.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 192
  • NAWA - 1st fall fem - so cal.jpg
    NAWA - 1st fall fem - so cal.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 191
  • NAWA - male.jpg
    NAWA - male.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 188
  • VAWA - ad fem - so cal.jpg
    VAWA - ad fem - so cal.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 175
Here's another one... none of the others are very sharp.

I guess I'll go stake out the spot this weekend and see if I can get a better shot.

Attachments

• IMG_2126a.jpg
    IMG_2126a.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 229
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back