• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brent Geese variables (1 Viewer)

Reader

I was in Norfolk for just over a day this week and managed to photograph some Brent Geese. Thankfully I managed to capture some Pale bellied Brents (the first I have ever seen) as well as some dark bellied Brents. Now I am no expert on Brent identification but whilst I found it relatively easy to pick out thePale bellied I found that within the Dark bellied there seemed to be variable plumages. I have attached a Pale bellied plus a couple of dark bellied Brents. can someone tell me why in one of the Dark bellied Geese it has visible wing markings whilst the other has none.

Forgive the fuzziness of the pictures but I was battling against gale force winds and these were the best out of over a hundred photos taken.

Attachments

• Brent Goose 0095.jpg
    Brent Goose 0095.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Brent Goose 0159.jpg
    Brent Goose 0159.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Pale bellied Brent 0151.jpg
    Pale bellied Brent 0151.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 223
Hi Reader,

The ones with white fringes are first-winter birds (also with next to no white on the side of the neck), without fringes are adults

Michael

Hi Reader,
The variation in wing markings is age-related,with adults of all Brent Goose taxa having unmarked wings and juveniles/1st-winters having pale 'bars'.
Harry H
P.S. See I was beaten to it....;)

Hi Reader,
The white wing markings are indicative of juvenile and first winter birds whereas adults do not show these wing markings. The same is true of the pale bellied race. So the middle bird is a first winter dark bellied Brent Goose whereas the end bird is an adult as is your pale bellied individual. The Collins Bird Guide shows excellent and very clear examples of this in the drawings. I found this out after consulting the book when I noticed juvenile Brent Geese with wing markings on Mull at the beginning of October. However Reader, juv birds show NO white streak on the neck. This explains why your first winter bird has a less developed neck stripe when compared to your adult birds.

I'm pretty sure I saw a number of Brents today at an estuarine location at Cwm Ivy, North Gower in South Wales. I cant be sure but they were very dark all over with just a small amount of white on the underside, more towards the tail. I'm an occasional bird watcher and this was my first visit here. The amount of waders, ducks and other species was incredible being the time of year for all those visitors. I wasnt aware that Brents are found this far west in the UK, so maybe they were another breed?

Thanks for anyone's help!

I'm pretty sure I saw a number of Brents today at an estuarine location at Cwm Ivy, North Gower in South Wales. I cant be sure but they were very dark all over with just a small amount of white on the underside, more towards the tail. I'm an occasional bird watcher and this was my first visit here. The amount of waders, ducks and other species was incredible being the time of year for all those visitors. I wasnt aware that Brents are found this far west in the UK, so maybe they were another breed?

Yes, they winter on the Gower in small numbers (y)

PS welcome to Birdforum!

that's brilliant Nutcracker, thanks very much! I'll be going back there, some great hides I could see and Marsh Harriers I believe! I dont know if you know the area, but an ancient sea defence has subsided allowing the tides to once more encroach into pasture. Already the diversity of wildlife is springing back to where it was many hundreds of years ago, not just birds.

Hi gomergl and welcome to BirdForum. I was down there Sunday. Superb place. Teeming with birds though the tide was way out when we were there. Good numbers of Pintails as well.

The week before I was at Crofty marsh. Had distant views of a Hen Harrier there and a much closer Merlin.

Rich

we didnt venture on the marsh paths or to the hides but walked to the old lighthouse, but further inland I could see huge numbers through the binoculars. One flock had a large amount of white on their backs; Shelducks presumably? I've never seen a pintail, but from pictures they look beautiful!

we didnt venture on the marsh paths or to the hides but walked to the old lighthouse, but further inland I could see huge numbers through the binoculars. One flock had a large amount of white on their backs; Shelducks presumably? I've never seen a pintail, but from pictures they look beautiful!
Definitely plenty of Shelduck down there. I must admit that given the tide was so far out on Sunday the scope came in very handy. We were able to pick out a couple of Slavonian Grebes with it and some Common Scoters near the Eider flock. Brent Geese numbers were very high.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back