• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonchat SP (1 Viewer)

Heathy

Hi all

I spent a fab day down Dungeness in Kent today and came across this Stonchat, while I am pretty sure that it is a common Stonechat the collar on this individual seems more like siberian. The other features seem to fit common but have a look, any comments welcome.

Marc Heath

Attachments

• P2140048.jpg
    P2140048.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 287
I'd bet it was a continental rubecula as opposed to hibernans.....

A scarce passage (DRIFT) migrant in early spring to the UK. Once came across a fall of 35!

The only Siberian Stonechat I've ever seen was a male and it was a real 'snowball' job - much paler than this fellow. It does look a bit 'different' though.

Charles Harper said:
How do you tell rubicola from hibernans? Svensson et. al. has both names on the picture but no description of the latter.

Thanks in advance.

You can only do the extremes Charles.. some rubicola males tend to have bigger collars and paler - even white rumps. ..... you need to see the auxilliaries on those to prove they are not Sibechats... this is personal experience.. I'll look at the literature when I'm not covered in paint!... decorating just now.

Charles Harper said:
How do you tell rubicola from hibernans? Svensson et. al. has both names on the picture but no description of the latter.

Thanks in advance.

One of my books states that hibernans are typically darker than rubicola.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back