• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

great white heron ? (1 Viewer)

cal

Is this a great white heron? Taken in S.E. Michigan USA....
Thanks, Cal

Attachments

• Img_3190.jpg
    Img_3190.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 915
Hi Cal
Yes it is, or rather a Great White Egret. I think in North America they are usually just called Great Egrets though.
Tom

Actually, since we have a bird called "Great White Heron" (the white morph of the Great Blue Heron, often written in quotation marks) in North America, we should be specific here. The bird in the picture is most definitely a Great Egret (Areda alba), not a "Great White Heron" (Ardea herodias). The giveaway is the leg color. Areda herodias has pale legs.

Last edited:
In NA the "Great White Heron" (resident in Florida) was considered a full species. If my memory serves me correctly it was reclassifies as a "white morph" of the Great-blue Heron. They have yellow legs instead of the black of the Great Egret. The name "GWH" is still used by some, although everyone should be calling it a "GBH morph".

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back