• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white cheeked Bulbul ? (1 Viewer)

kuwaity

Hi all,
this photo is taken 15-4-2004, north of Kuwait ,,,

Attachments

• whitecheekedbulbul.jpg
    whitecheekedbulbul.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 237
i must say that the image in the corner is a white cheeked bulbul,
it's the bird in the main image that am not sure about ... it has
different colors that the normal ones,
thanks ..
abdulla

Hey there,
Anyone have a good website that has most of Kuwaiti birds on display with names. I'm deployed over here without a field guide and am struggeling a bit.

Thanks
James
Lost in the desert

kuwaity said:
i must say that the image in the corner is a white cheeked bulbul,
it's the bird in the main image that am not sure about ... it has
different colors that the normal ones,
thanks ..
abdulla

I suspect it might be a hybrid. There are probably other escaped or released species of bulbuls around where you are, and if numbers are low they may be tempted to mate with the commoner P. leucotis maybe.

Steve

I don't think it is a hybrid. The shape and most of the pattern is perfect for Pycnonotus leucotis. The things that look strange don't fit well with any of the relatives either (unless I forgot something). Hence, I think it is a pure Pycnonotus leucotis, but without doubt an aberant individual. Clearly, melanin has been affected leading to the random speckling on the back and likewise the rusty tones on the crest/throat.

airbornetranspo said:
Hey there,
Anyone have a good website that has most of Kuwaiti birds on display with names. I'm deployed over here without a field guide and am struggeling a bit.

Thanks
James
Lost in the desert

Haven't checked, but this page may give some useful links:

http://www.bsc-eoc.org/links/links.jsp?page=l_mid_kw

Otherwise, Abdullah's (aka Kuwaity's) rather extensive gallery here on BF may help:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10337

Good luck - there should be some nice things "down there".

Last edited:
airbornetranspo said:
Hey there,

Thanks
James
Lost in the desert
Hi James,

Here's a link to an on-line version of the Field Guide to the Birds of the Middle East:

http://birds.rscn.org.jo/elinks.html

It's in Arabic, but the maps have the scientific names and the plates are in English.

Hope it helps.

-Adam

airbornetranspo said:
Hey there,

Thanks
James
Lost in the desert

Dear James,
If you wish to join the local Kuwait-based birders on their trips, please send me an email at <[email protected]>.
Best wishes,
George Gregory,
Secretary, BMAPT.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back