• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater ID Please (1 Viewer)

snapper

Photo take off the coast of southern Spain last week is this bird a Mediterranean Shearwater. Sorry about the quailty of the shot but I was on a boat with a large swell at sea.

Attachments

• Mediterranean Shearwater .jpg
    Mediterranean Shearwater .jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 334
Yes, bird is looking good for Mediterranean Shearwater - looking at back colour I would say mauretanicus (not Yelkouan) so Balearic Shearwater it is.

Chi-wai

I'm not sure I could rule out a Sooty on that view, not having the benefit of a size comparison or enough in the pic to judge structure. But if it was a small Shearwater than a Balearic it is.

Hi all,
The bird appears to show some paler feathering around the face/upper breast, a feature I'd not normally expect to see on a Sooty. So my vote is for a 'mauretanicus' Balearic.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back