• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead Bird Photo (1 Viewer)

Draco

Hi all,

Sorry to start out this way, but I REALLY want to know what this bird is. It was a building strike victim, got rained on... so it's not in great shape. I'm usually pretty good at getting an ID, but this has me stumped. Sure that it was in migration, so it may not be a local to the mid Michigan area. Looks like some type of shore bird, but I come up with zip from all of my resources. This bird was about as big as my foot. Any ideas?

Attachments

• dscn0016.jpg
    dscn0016.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 512
Without having any American guides at hand, (the Sibley's at home), and painfully aware that I could be making a fool of myself, I reckon this a Least Bittern!
E

Draco,

Looks to me like you have got a Rail here, the bird has long legs and a longish, de-curved beak typical of the genus.

This bird appears to show the characteristics of Clapper or King Rail. I'm not sure if either are migratory.

Clapper Rail has three forms, Californian, Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coast. Apparently King Rail and forms of Clapper Rail sometimes breed producing hybrids and from my literature there is not much to separate the different species.

This bird does not directly match the plumages shown in my books but I would suggest that this is the most likely candidate.

A word of warning though - I have no experience at all of America birds other than the odd straggler across the Atlantic so I could be well off the mark!!

Thanks for the IDs! I'd go with Least Bittern, having looked at the options. The US map says that for the State of Michigan this bird is:
Recorded as erratic, transient, casual, vagrant, or rare.
Makes me feel just a bit better about not figuring it out, but you folks "across the pond" are good!

Mark

Although it has the face and bill similar to the California Clapper Rail the markings aren't anywhere near. See if you can private messenger or email our member Gecsos. He is a whiz at identifications.

I did consider a rail when I first saw it but don't have any literature with me to look at and the bill seemed heron-like. Like Rob, my knowledge of North American birds is limited to the few vagrants I've seen in Iceland but it did remind me a little of our Little Bittern in Europe.

I got so caught up in the similarity in the rails that I didn't look beyond my first impression (it reminded me of pictures of the Allen's Gallinule?).

I can't argue with Least Bittern!

Still, it livened up a dull afternoon off work!

Have to agree with Edward - there's no doubt it's a Least Bittern. They're smaller than you'd imagine. I found a dead bird at High Island a few years ago and was amazed at how tiny it was

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back