• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a GARDEN WARBLER (1 Viewer)

When was this taken? It looks more like a Willow Warbler to me, based on the head structure, the head pattern and the primary projection.

Willow Warbler for me too, for the same reasons as given by Jane above. Have once seen the species this late, at Owenahincha on a West Cork bird race...another team had one at Clonakilty the same day....
Regards,
Harry

JimMorris said:
I'm not sure on this one, I think it may be a garden warbler can someone confirm this

Just a few thoughts...
Surely that pp is too short for WW? Should be at least equal to the exposed tertial length to be a WW and this is clearly shorter. Although leg colour can vary, surely wing formula is always consistent? I would expect a WW to have at least some yellow or greeny yellow in the plumage too.
I would agree that structurally it looks a bit wierd for a Chiff though, quite long and with a more WW like head pattern.
Maybe the habitat is a clue too; Chiffs are often on the ground or low down.

Jono Leadley

Jono L said:
Just a few thoughts...
Surely that pp is too short for WW? Should be at least equal to the exposed tertial length to be a WW and this is clearly shorter. Although leg colour can vary, surely wing formula is always consistent? I would expect a WW to have at least some yellow or greeny yellow in the plumage too.
I would agree that structurally it looks a bit wierd for a Chiff though, quite long and with a more WW like head pattern.
Maybe the habitat is a clue too; Chiffs are often on the ground or low down.

Jono Leadley

And now I have looked at the tarsiger short winged WW and answered my question. Doh!

Jane Turner said:
Its also got a very rounded (Chiff-like) wing. Weird bird. I'd like to see it in the field.

J.Moss take a look at this
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=15579

And notice p6 not emarginated. Strangely p5 seems to be longer than p4 while p2 being as long as p6 is alright, usually p2 is 5/6 or = 6, uncommonly =6/7 exceptionally = 5

In Chiffchaff
p2 =6/8, uncommonly = 8, exceptionally = 8/9

JanJ

JANJ said:
And notice p6 not emarginated. Strangely p5 seems to be longer than p4 while p2 being as long as p6 is alright, usually p2 is 5/6 or = 6, uncommonly =6/7 exceptionally = 5

In Chiffchaff
p2 =6/8, uncommonly = 8, exceptionally = 8/9

JanJ

I'll bear all that in mind next time I'm struggling to get a proper look at one in the back of a bush, Jan! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back