• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hornbill??? (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Hi there,

Took this photo in a cave near Krabi, Thailand, and figure it is a Hornbill sp.?

Attachments

• Cave painting.jpg
    Cave painting.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 207
"Took this photo in a cave near Krabi, Thailand, and figure it is a Hornbill sp.?"

Hi Hanno, is it the bill shape that you base your guess on, or is there something else.

Regards

Malky.

alcedo.atthis said:
"Took this photo in a cave near Krabi, Thailand, and figure it is a Hornbill sp.?"

Hi Hanno, is it the bill shape that you base your guess on, or is there something else.

Further to the above, a little research shows only 13 species of Hornbill recorded in Thailand. The bill edge serrations in the picture seem to be slightly overdone, but apart from that, it would seem to be a Hornbill. Out of the 13, going by the drawing, only 2 would seem to fit the drawing outline, the Great Hornbill, Buceros bicornis, or the Oriental Pied Hornbill, Anthracoceros albirostris. Your guess is as good as mine, but at present the status of both is, the former, "vulernable" and the latter "common". Depending when the drawing was done, it could be either.

I will guess at the Oriental Pied. Why not. It's only a guess.

Regards

Malky.

Well, the painting is about 5,000 years old. Obviously, storks and Ibises would still have been common then, I assume. But nevertheless, Hornbills would have been even commoner. As the painting was in a cave in the middle of a Mangrove Swamp, my guess would also be Oriental Pied Hornbill. The very long tail also makes Ibises or Storks unlikely.

5,000 years ago they were chucking more mushrooms down their necks than a Wisconsin gap year student so it's probably a camel.

LOL
Or most likely you are trying to hard to interpret the meaning of a simple rendition of a story, and your picture is thus what it is.... a bird.
One can only assume what the artist at that time intended.
Shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back