• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss ht or SF (1 Viewer)

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I've always been baffled by the distinction of "hunting" and "birding" binoculars.

A good glass is a good glass, no matter the use, and an adequate glass remains adequate.

One sticks the eyepieces into one's eye sockets (or jams them up against one's eyeglasses), twiddles the focus knob until the image is sharp, and examines the "target".

Such it is, and such has always been, for my simple mind.

I'm with you. And I know nothing about hunting. But the manufacturers make such distinctions, probably for marketing reasons. So a hunting binocular should have a big exit pupil and perhaps greater magnification (for dawn long range detection of a big animal), a birding binocular should be light for long hikes in the woods, a naval should have a even bigger ep and lower magnification (for less shakes) etc. But you use what you have, I agree.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I've always been baffled by the distinction of "hunting" and "birding" binoculars.

A good glass is a good glass, no matter the use, and an adequate glass remains adequate.

One sticks the eyepieces into one's eye sockets (or jams them up against one's eyeglasses), twiddles the focus knob until the image is sharp, and examines the "target".

This is a perennial topic. Well, more than perennial since it's the second time the subject has come up on the forums in the past few months.

It's chiefly in the marketing.... Swaro gives hunting guides free samples, their customers see them with a Swaro and figure, they must be the best if the hunting guide has one, and yada yada yada, a few years later, 2/3 of Swaro's customers are hunters.

However, it's not all smoke and mirrored prisms, big game hunters tend to like larger aperture bins and higher magnification bins than birders and they don't care about how close the bin can focus since they are looking a quarter of a mile away or more.

Then there's the "one-hand factor." If hunters are holding their rifle in one hand, they only have one hand to "glass" with.

Then there's the hat lift factor. The popularity of the now defunct 8x30 SLC was due in large part to its objective side focuser. With this set up, hunters didn't need to lift their hats to focus, and when it's 10* F outside in the winter, you want to keep your hat on, particularly when your balding. Just as mooreorless. ;)

Also, Steiner makes some hunting binoculars with AR coatings that bring out the browns and drown out the greens so big game stands out. You wouldn't want to use these bins for birding.

However, when you're talking top tier, it's more marketing than specs that determines whether one buys an HT or SF. Zeiss marketed the HT to hunters and the SF to birders, but no doubt there will be a lot of crossover, with some HT owners "counting crows" and some SF owners "counting how many 'points' in a buck's 'rack."

Brock

Last edited:
This is a perennial topic. Well, more than perennial since it's the second time the subject has come up on the forums in the past few months.

It's chiefly in the marketing.... Swaro gives hunting guides free samples, their customers see them with a Swaro and figure, they must be the best if the hunting guide has one, and yada yada yada, a few years later, 2/3 of Swaro's customers are hunters.

However, it's not all smoke and mirrored prisms, big game hunters tend to like larger aperture bins and higher magnification bins than birders and they don't care about how close the bin can focus since they are looking a quarter of a mile away or more.

Then there's the "one-hand factor." If hunters are holding their rifle in one hand, they only have one hand to "glass" with.

Then there's the hat lift factor. The popularity of the now defunct 8x30 SLC was due in large part to its objective side focuser. With this set up, hunters didn't need to lift their hats to focus, and when it's 10* F outside in the winter, you want to keep your hat on, particularly when your balding. Just as mooreorless. ;)

Also, Steiner makes some hunting binoculars with AR coatings that bring out the browns and drown out the greens so big game stands out. You wouldn't want to use these bins for birding.

However, when you're talking top tier, it's more marketing than specs that determines whether one buys an HT or SF. Zeiss marketed the HT to hunters and the SF to birders, but no doubt there will be a lot of crossover, with some HT owners "hunting for bird IDs" and some SF owners "hunting for moose heads."

Brock

That logic makes perfect sense to me, can I assume then that my FL's are for female hunting ? o:D

Last edited:

the hunters sure does seem delighted over the SF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtLcfy5J9fE

Hunters, I being one, value light gathering tempered with portability. You don't see many hunters with large objective, heavy bins. Also, the Zeiss SF and Swaro SV flat field of view probably isn't as important to hunters as it is to birders. I base that opinion on many hunters who have the SV's who have told me it was not a major consideration when they bought them. The Swaro SLC's are popular with many hunters because they're very sharp, have good contrast and low light performance. Same applies to Zeiss HT's.

Same question and observation for me, although in birding you can get away with a little more delicate build than perhaps in hunting or commercial applications such as law enforcement.

Frankly, it is the HT and SF's lack of robustness and occasional QC issues (which admittedly can be over-blown on forums) that has kept me from upgrading optically from the Zeiss Marine's that live in the passenger seat of the car. For the admission fee of $2,500, I think some additional QC and toughness could and should be built in to both.

Is it because the rifle alpha scope market is so much larger than the alpha binocular market that the rifle scope's get larger R&D budgets and tighter production lines? German manufacturer's like Schmidt and Bender can build very robust optics with as high as 96% transmission and up to 25 Meters water proof, and they can build them consistently. And the Zeiss alpha hunting scopes are very nice products as well.

Last edited:
Frankly, it is the HT and SF's lack of robustness and occasional QC issues (which admittedly can be over-blown on forums) that has kept me from upgrading optically from the Zeiss Marine's that live in the passenger seat of the car. For the admission fee of $2,500, I think some additional QC and toughness could and should be built in to both.

It may be a bit too early to judge the SF, but it's been quite some time since I last heard to problems with the 42mm HT both here and in real life.

And make no mistake - there are quite a few people who use the 8x42 or the 10x42 HT over here.

Hermann

It may be a bit too early to judge the SF, but it's been quite some time since I last heard to problems with the 42mm HT both here and in real life.

And make no mistake - there are quite a few people who use the 8x42 or the 10x42 HT over here.

Hermann

Agree, this is how internet 'legends' begin, and then take on a life of their own for years and years....

Hello,

Having had and used hard the Leica BA 10x42, Swarovski Habicht W GA 10x40, Zeiss FL 10x42 and my present Zeiss HT 1ox42, I don't find the latter lacking ANY robustness or thoughness. Or a great built quality. And, for me (as human being) the BEST ERGONOMICS, by far! And the optics are, well, as good as ANY other I have seen, excluding the SF I must see soon...

Regards,

PHA

We have been roaming North Uist in the Western Isles of Scotland for almost three weeks. Scrambling up hills and shore-lines my SFs have received the usual share of bumps and scrapes without taking any harm. They have been covered with sea-spray, seaweed residue, sheep-poo, goose-poo and my sweaty hands and have no signs of staining on the armour and they still smell nice :t::t::t:

Lee

HT is very well built, little bit better than EL, but not at the level of Trinovid BN. Seems that one cannot have everything.... - It is allways trade off between mechanics and optics, in the price class.

We have been roaming North Uist in the Western Isles of Scotland for almost three weeks. Scrambling up hills and shore-lines my SFs have received the usual share of bumps and scrapes without taking any harm. They have been covered with sea-spray, seaweed residue, sheep-poo, goose-poo and my sweaty hands and have no signs of staining on the armour and they still smell nice :t::t::t:

Lee

Lee:

Your trip sounds like great fun, and now with retirement
you are really enjoying your travels.

You are the best Zeiss promoter they could have found
for a forum like this.

I am wondering how do you get goose and sheep poop on
your binoculars ? :eek!:

And how is this a concern for anyone else.

Jerry

Lee
Lee:

for a forum like this.

Jerry

Jerry, :-O is there a "like" button around here! :t:

Chosun :gh:

Lee:

for a forum like this.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

When stalking Otters you sometimes find yourself on the ground trying to stay out of sight and you put your bins down for a moment and don't notice the goose poo. Or you want to take photo of a small flower so get down on the ground with your bins underneath you and the only direction you can get a clear shot of the flower means you end up on top of the only piece of sheep poo for 500 yds :-O

As to why anyone else would care to know, a couple of folks have complained about some staining on the rubber and it struck me that my SFs have survived a few noxious substances without marking as well as few bumps and scrapes from hill scrambling.

I try to take care of my bins but the main thing is what we can see through them not the bins themselves so they don't get babied.

BTW goose poo is worse than sheep poo, in every way :eek!:

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back