• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss HT vs FL (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello,

To those who have spent significant time viewing through both, what would the differences between the HT and FL (probably 8x42 format) actually be? The FL has great numbers (according to Allbinos and other transmission tests), but I've seen fewer "empirical" tests of the HT. My main concerns are: 1) apparent sharpness in the sweetspot 2) control of Chromatic Aberration 3) brightness 4) color fidelity

Size of sweetspot and edge distortion don't really matter to me as I only use the edges to identify movement and refocus my binos.

I can get a used/demo FL at a much reduced price to the HT, and it is also lighter and more ergonomic, hence my interest. I have no interest in the SF due to ergonomics (as well as the price, eh eh?).

Thanks!

Justin

Hi J

I have an HT 8x42 and have had an FL 8x42 for quite a few years although I sold it last year.

HT is the 'ultimate FL' and in my view betters it in every way including the categories you mention.

However whether it betters it sufficiently for you to pass over a really keenly priced FL is another matter. Although some folks don't like the softness of the edges of the FOV of FL this was something I never noticed.

If you feel comfortable with the expense of an HT I would go for it, but if for any reason you aren't then an FL at a good price would be great. I reckon FL is still competitive today.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Roughly, what would you quantify the difference as being? I've only tried each briefly, and at different times under different conditions. From my notes and recollection, I found the FL more ergonomically pleasing.

Thanks Lee. Roughly, what would you quantify the difference as being? I've only tried each briefly, and at different times under different conditions. From my notes and recollection, I found the FL more ergonomically pleasing.

Thats surprising to me J as I felt that the HT's handling was a big improvement over FL, but this is such a personal matter.

Two big improvements optically over FL are the distinctly more vivid colours. I compared the two side by side several times, one in each hand, and was especially impressed by the brighter reds. This difference did not need 'searching for' it was easily apparent when swapping from one to the other. In addition I found extra detail in areas of shadow that the FL couldn't touch. In short I found the view more lively, more dynamic.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I have heard the color expressed through the HT is quite superior to that of the FL, which tends towards a less neutral view.

I felt the body style of the FL was perfect for my hands with its forward oriented Bridge and tqpering barrels.

Justin

Thanks Lee. I have heard the color expressed through the HT is quite superior to that of the FL, which tends towards a less neutral view.

I felt the body style of the FL was perfect for my hands with its forward oriented Bridge and tqpering barrels.

Justin

the 7x42 FL have a very similar transmission curve to the 8x42 HT

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testrapporten/Test_Zeiss_Victory_HT.pdf

personally I think ergonomics is as important as image quality,
bins gotta feel right in the hands,

the only way is to try,
you might end up with something completely different
than you thought from the beginning

Last edited:
Vespo,

Is impossible for me to try these binos before buying side by side. No one nearby carries the FL, and the only carrier of the HT disallows use outside of the building (and typically only stock the 10x42, anyways). As I mentioned, I have tried both, but briefly and in quite different conditions.

To your point of the 7x42 FL, that is actually the binocular I want, but unfortunately I do not see them on the used market much.

Justin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back