• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 6x20b and 8x20b (1 Viewer)

KMC9

Just posted a similar question in another thread.

I've not handled the older Zeiss compacts that are IF, and marked "West Germany" on them. Would love any feedback / info on this line. I see they started production in 1971 but not sure when it stopped?

Been searching for a new compact roof binocular. Have looked extensively for a quality compact roof in a 6x or 7x20 ish configuration, but very few choices out there.

In particular, does anyone have any experience with the older Zeiss 6x20b West Germany model?

OR experience with the 8x20b West Germany model which may would help provide insight to the 6x20.

I did own a pair of 8x20 victory's, optics excellent for a compact but I've always preferred 6-7x power in my binoculars. I believe that lower power in a compact bino would have many benefits over 8-10x.

Has anyone handled and compared the 8x20 victory or conquest to the older 8x20b West Germany model?

Last, are these West Germany models what people refer to as "classics"?

Much Thanks!

Got the 6x18B, over 40 years old. Wife loves it and takes to all indoor performances. Tiny and light, fits in shirt pocket or handbag.

Sharp. Not too bright. Narrow field. Focussing not critical so the independent focussing is no problem.

I also use it as a magnifying glass on nature walks, pointing backwards.

Got the 8x20 Victory too. Not too happy with its flare control.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back