• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie pix (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I personally think Magpies get a bad press... and they are one of my favourite birds.

Growing up, it was unusual to see Magpies where I lived, but as I got older, as most of us in the UK will have noticed, they have become much more common.

Even so, there is something so exotic about Magpies to me, and if they were seen in jungle or rainforest surroundings, I think more people would be as enamoured by them as I am.

I'm pleased to be able to report that I now get Magpie vistors to me garden, and I've attached some pix from earlier today.

What Magpies seem to lack is a steady nerve, fleeing at the slightest provocation, so these photos were taken from indoor through double-glazing, so they're not as great as they could be (you should see the rejects!!!) - but hopefully I've picked up enough of the colours.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 138
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 138
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 120
Most people think of a Magpie as being a black and white bird but when the light catches them in the right direction there's all sorts of subtle colours in the plumage.

Hi Birdman,

I agree totally, i find them to bring a lot of colour and size to the garden, they do look very large when at close range. Last year i hardly had them visit but now i get at least on a day, what food do they like? So i can put a bit on the table.
Yes that is frustrating when they fly off at the slightest movement, what i don't get is that my dogs are wondering around the garde and the magpie dosn't mind but as soon as i goto the window, off it goes.
I'm now working on the Greenfinches to visit the garden, there in the neighbourhood but havn't descovered my garden yet, THEY BETTER HURRY UP!

By the way, you got some nice pics there.

Steven

Hi Steven,

what i don't get is that my dogs are wondering around the garde and the magpie dosn't mind but as soon as i goto the window, off it goes
Magpies don't get shot at by dogs, they do by humans . . . so they know which it is the safer to be wary of ;)

I'm now working on the Greenfinches to visit the garden
Try planting some wild rose bushes - Rosa rugosa is probably the best. They love rose hips.

Michael

Hi Mike,

The garden is absoluteley packed with plants but my mom is gonna add some pots. I could grow a rosebush from a pot :)

Steven

Quote:

"Growing up, it was unusual to see Magpies where I lived, but as I got older, as most of us in the UK will have noticed, they have become much more common." End Quote!

Hey Birdman, do most of those people in the UK notice that you are getting older or do they notice that the Magpies have become more common. Just kidding!

Stonechat2 said:
what food do they like?
I had to go and check, because (coincidence?) their arrival in numbers has happened at the same time as changing the birdfood.

RSPB Special Formula Table Seed.

The hedgehogs seem to like it too!

I reckon Magpies are one of our many birds that are 'exotic' enough to fit in a Indonesian jungle setting and be amazing to a group of birders.

Even the Rook amazed me the other week. One was on a post and I decided to scope it close up. The amount of colours and scalloping on them is breathtaking. They are not just ugly black corvids.

Andrew said:
I reckon Magpies are one of our many birds that are 'exotic' enough to fit in a Indonesian jungle setting and be amazing to a group of birders.

Even the Rook amazed me the other week. One was on a post and I decided to scope it close up. The amount of colours and scalloping on them is breathtaking. They are not just ugly black corvids.
My point exactly, Andrew... and I shall have to have a closer look at Rooks now, as well!

I agree, Magpies are such beautiful birds, one of my favourites. But just look at these Jackdaws - aren't they gorgeous?

Susan

Attachments

• jackdaws2.jpg
    jackdaws2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 114
birdman said:
I had to go and check, because (coincidence?) their arrival in numbers has happened at the same time as changing the birdfood.

Magpies are very fond of peanuts. They can scoop up as many as five in their beaks before flying off somewhere quiet to eat them.

I have noticed however that they have very evil-looking eyes. Anyone noticed this?

If you give good enough looks to any of our supposedly drab birds you will always see beauty. I must agree with Dave about the Magpie as it has long been a favourite bird of mine and Susans picture of the Jackdaw is certainly a cracker.

We have a couple of Crows that visit the willows at the bottom of our garden on a regular basis and when the sun hits them right they throw of a real gloosy sheen to their feathers.

I think most people have a soft spot for the male blackbird but I think the female has a beauty of its own and have attached a photo of one that has been a regular visitor to our garden. I have also attached a few photos that I like of our Crows together with a shot of a Magpie youngster I took last year.

Watching Magpie youngsters was a real uplifting moment as they were running around like headless chickens and at one point two of them started chasing a piece of paper and ended up crashing into each other, hilarious.

Attachments

• Magpie 5432.jpg
    Magpie 5432.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Crow 6172.jpg
    Crow 6172.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Crow 6154.jpg
    Crow 6154.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Crow 6771.jpg
    Crow 6771.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 111
  • our Blackbird (fem) 7423.jpg
    our Blackbird (fem) 7423.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back