• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All three woodpeckers in my garden (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
Well almost.

Today it was a nice surprise to see a female Gt Spotted Woodpecker on the peanuts. This is a first for our garden (in 30 years). I then remembered that last year we had a young Green Woodpecker on the lawn and some 20 years ago I found a dead Lesser Spotted Woodpecker just outside the back door. It was in perfect condition (apart from being dead).

So does that count as 2.5 woodpeckers have visited my garden ;)

Dave

Charles Harper said:
One seems to be a permanent resident, depending on your disposition of the remains.

Not in my garden. A biologist friend buried it in his garden with the intention of recovering the skeleton later. Unfortunately he forgot where he buried it !!

Dave

I presume the Lesser was alive when it entered your garden? So all 3 have been alive in your garden at one time or another. Not you understand that I'm at all jealous

pduxon said:
I presume the Lesser was alive when it entered your garden? So all 3 have been alive in your garden at one time or another. Not you understand that I'm at all jealous

It was good being able to see it close up, but I did have to wait something like 18 years to see one live.

Dave

As was said before,it was alive in the garden at one time.Two out of thee have turned up regularly in my mother-in-law's,but all three is great !
Mervyn.

For a moment I was confused by the ONLY 3 woodpeckers part, I thought it was Dave B Smith reporting!

We have plenty of woodpeckers, but I only feed birds in winter. We got two kinds to the feeder, Downy and Red Bellied.

Hi Dave,

Great to hear about the tree wodies in your garden, i havn't had any visit yet. A friend in London has gt spotted woodpeckers visit her garden, but she thinks there lesser spotted woodpeckers. I don't want to try to be a party pooper so i just let her think that they are Lessers.

Steven

Great Spotted and Green Woodpecker have both visited our garden this year and 3 pair of Lesser Spotted were seen in a 2 mile radius in the breeding season. So I live in hope.

I had a Gt Spotted visit in the summer of 2001 but im not holding out much hope for the other two. I think ive got more chance of a Dodo!!

Joser4red said:
I had a Gt Spotted visit in the summer of 2001 but im not holding out much hope for the other two. I think ive got more chance of a Dodo!!

Uhm a bet that might be worth taking!!

Hi - Interesting to hear about other woodpeckers than we have in the mid-west of the US. I live in horse and buggy Amish Country, Ohio and have 6 kinds coming to our feeders. Downy, Hairy, Red-Bellied, N. Flicker, Pileated, and Red-headed. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker pass through here but I haven't seen them in our yard. Of course we have lots of other species. This morning E. Phoebe babies took off from the nest just outside one of the doors. Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back