• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketching/painting birds- any interest? (2 Viewers)

jurek said:
I like most to skretch moving birds. If they move, I can quickly skretch the idea. Then I fill every part - head, wings, tail bit by bit.

Also, after some minutes of looking at the bird I remember them in 3D. I can make a skretch - and again, fill details bit by bit from birds in other positions or from pics.

That is awesome, can you share some of your sketches.

My interest in wild birds was started by sketching stuffed raptors and swans in Norwich Museum, and then Peter Scott's awesome paintings of Whooper and Bewick's swans. Then I found 'Thorburn's birds' and realised I'm a born photographer (read: talentless with a pen :))

I still love to see great drawings of birds.

Oh, I like this idea.

I really like the idea of "field sketches as art in their own right" (Woody, I hate you! Your field sketches should be framed! ;) ) and a forum like this would really inspire me to get my backside into gear and put more effort into my drawing.

May I recommend a book I recently purchased: Field Sketches by Mike Warren? It is not a "How to do" sort of book, but reproductions of his field sketches. It is well worth getting hold of a copy. It isn't cheap at £25, but is well worth it. It may look daunting "oh my gaad, I can't do that!", but I think it's inspiring.
It can be obtained from his website www.mikewarren.co.uk/index.html

Sea Wanderer said:
May I recommend a book I recently purchased: Field Sketches by Mike Warren? It is not a "How to do" sort of book, but reproductions of his field sketches. It is well worth getting hold of a copy. It isn't cheap at £25, but is well worth it. It may look daunting "oh my gaad, I can't do that!", but I think it's inspiring.
It can be obtained from his website www.mikewarren.co.uk/index.html

I bought Lars Jonsson's 'Birds and Light' recently. Superb! Don't try to read it in bed though. It's too heavy. If you doze off, it will get you on the bridge of the nose. Ouch!

A wonderful book, Den. I bought it a year or two back and it totally justifies the £35.00 price tag. Superb.
I am also after "Guardian Spirit of the East Bank" but I can't find it here in Southampton and didn't see a copy at the Bird Fair either, although it is a new title. I have a feeling that's rather pricey too.

Bird Drawing

trishhickson said:
I would love a forum on this, I just joined today and found this thread and I was so pleased. Ive just ordered a book on drawing birds. I used to use photos but am now trying to draw from life but I too find they move so fast! I want to paint my birds as well as draw them. Woody your drawings are great. Something to aspire to. Im lucky to have the bird feeders right by the window.

Iam interested in what book you ordered as I to want to start this 'side' of biding .
I am sure this will eventually help with my poor identifying skills,

I see A LOT of little brown Jobs

Another book well worth getting is John Busby's "Drawing Birds" which features sketches by eminent artists who, apart from John Busby himself, include Ian Lewington, Lars Jonsson and Killian Mullarney, among others. I bought mine in Waterstones last month.

Here are the relevant details:
Hardcover 144 pages (July 2004)
Publisher: Christopher Helm
ISBN: 0713668164
My copy is a softcover one and cost £19.99

Hi, I just downloaded three skretches into the gallery. Actually, concepts were from the imagination so results look a bit flat. Details were filled basing on pictures.

Drawing Birds

John Newbury said:
Iam interested in what book you ordered as I to want to start this 'side' of biding .
I am sure this will eventually help with my poor identifying skills,

I see A LOT of little brown Jobs
Hello John, the book I ordered is the one Sea Wanderer has mentioned Drawing Birds by John Busby Good Luck.

I am into water colour,flowers mainly, and have sold a few...but would love to have another go at birds...did a couple but not particularly good...was never sure how precise I needed to be in regard to feathers...or should they be representational...rather than precise...I think from an art point of view,for me, perhaps the latter..or is it that I'm not good enough to get the detail!...for me a bird though has to be seen in it's environment to have any real meaning...yes I think there should be as much input as possible on the subjects mentioned...it helps us learn and is part of the whole 'bird watching' thing as far as I'm concerned. Revles.

Revles said:
I am into water colour,flowers mainly, and have sold a few...but would love to have another go at birds...did a couple but not particularly good...was never sure how precise I needed to be in regard to feathers...or should they be representational...rather than precise...I think from an art point of view,for me, perhaps the latter..or is it that I'm not good enough to get the detail!...for me a bird though has to be seen in it's environment to have any real meaning...yes I think there should be as much input as possible on the subjects mentioned...it helps us learn and is part of the whole 'bird watching' thing as far as I'm concerned. Revles.

This is the first time I've seen this thread and its great.I have read most peoples comments and here are a few of my own.

I have been sketching and painting for about 20 years, I started with birds and moved to lanscapes, nudes and just about everything else.I use many mediums when i paint but when I'm out sketching birds i use a propelling pencil and coloured pencils.I think the most important thing is practice practice practice.I understand most peoples problems as I suffer from them all but my biggest problem is short term memory....I simply cannot remember what i saw through my scope seconds before...which makes it very difficult as birds keep moving.What I try to do is several sketches of bits and then try to add to them bit by bit...if you watch a bird long enough you will find it returns to the same stance time and again so you can add little bits at a time.I am very envious of those that have photographic memory...but for me i have to do things the hard way.
as far as rules are concerned i dont think there are any...use whatever you need to...I started using a video a few years ago and found this invaluable as most birds seem to fly off as soon as i get my sketchbook out.The biggest problem with a video is you spend to much time videoing and not enough practicing your sketching.

Phil.(more to come)

Woody said:
I'm always interested in anything to do with wildlife and bird art and a dedicated forum would suit me fine, so you get my vote.

Hi Woody
I an new to Birdforum and have only just found the Art section. I have had a look at your excellent pictures. I too would vote for a dedicated wildlife/bird art forum.
I think you would probably agree that, in art, the end result justifies the means (whatever they happen to be). I have used my 35mm transparancies for subject poses etc but am now in the early stages of using digiscoped photos. Digital imaging has bought the difficulty of sketching moving subjects within the reach of everone. If you have a digital video camera or a digital VCR sequences can be stepped through frame by frame, captured on your PC, reversed if neccessary, enlarged and printed for drawing. Working from photographs is NOT cheating, artists have been doing it since the camera was invented, in fact artists have been using projected images since before the camera was invented!
I have started to post some of my daubs and will post some of my digiscoped images in time (I can only update 3 every 24hrs).

DAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back