• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of June (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

Not huge numbers of moths in the trap but a few good species:

Poplar Hawkmoth (nfm)
White Ermine (nfm)
Small Phoenix (nfm)
Cabbage Moth (nfm)
Middle Barred Minor (nfy)
3 Cinnabar
3 Brimstone
2 Pebble Prominent
Flame
2 Heart and Dart
3 Bright Line Brown Eye
Flame Carpet

2.JPG

Last edited:
Relatively quiet here, but a new one for me:

2166 The Campion Hadena rivularis

robhope

Egrest, I've had a few

Attachments

• The Campion.jpg
    The Campion.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 66
I've not had much so far this month - although there seem to be quite a few green carpets around. I did see a nice A. jeffrella when walking yesterday (before the rain).

My largest ever catch last night, 54 moths of 27 species, highlights:
Mottled Pug (NFM)
Ancylis badiana (NFM)
Eyed Hawkmoth (NFG)
Treble Lines (NFG)
Large Yellow Underwing (NFY)
March Moth (latest i've ever caught one)

Last edited:
Are you sure about your March Moth Jonny, as that is stupidly late (although not impossible I guess).

I suppose potential confusion species could be Small and Large Tabby, or perhaps female Bee Moth.

Did you get a photo?

Not a single moth to the trap last night and it is starting to become more than just frustrating. However a couple of moths were resting on the back of the house this morning in the shape of Green Carpet,Common Swift and Small Dusty Wave.

Not a single moth to the trap last night and it is starting to become more than just frustrating. However a couple of moths were resting on the back of the house this morning in the shape of Green Carpet,Common Swift and Small Dusty Wave.

That surprises me because on the same night I caught 42 moths of 21 species, the best being Ingrailed Clay (nfm), Poplar Hawk-moth and Straw Dot (nfy)

2 nights trapping on Sunday and last night have produced a fair few moths on each occassion:

Sunday night/Monday morning - 42 of 21 species:
Ingrailed Clay (nfm)
Straw Dot (nfy)
Poplar Hawk-moth
2 Gold Spot
Angle Shades

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning - 45 of 25 species (i think):
Peach Blossom (nfm)
Ghost Moth (nfm)
Shears (nfm)
Dark Arches (nfy)
White Shouldered House Moth (nfy)
2 Silver Y

My British List now stands at 200

Last edited:
This weather is desparate - or is it me - perhaps tonight for the trap. Honeysuckle is just coming out and the elderflower, let's see if we have a still, mild night?

Hi

I've trapped fro the last two nights, despite the strong winds.

I could only manage 27 species, including micros, on Friday night but just 3 species (5 moths) last night. Looks like European Moth Nights has the same effect as our own!

Martin

I have had barely enough to kindle my annual interest in moths. And 45% of the 200 or so individuals that have ventured into my garden trap over six nights have been the very boring Epiphyas postvittana.

And I am desperate to catch a few unfamiliar micros to try out my new book !

Steve

Given this years dearth of moths, last nights excursion out to some heath/woodland habitat provided a veritable bonanza, with a whopping 63 species recorded plus a few more potted up & still to be sorted. The highlight of the night was July/Lead Belle (photo attached). Unfortunately we did`nt realise that we should have retained it. Personally i think it shows most characters favourable with Lead Belle, has anybody any thoughts on this (Martin?)

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 44
Temperature dropped last night so only 22 moths in the trap this morning of 15 species, highlights being singles of Poplar and Elephand Hawk-moths and Swallow Prominent

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to moth trapping as I only got my moth trap last week but am pleased with the results so far. After 3 nights in the garden have had poplar hawkmoth, white and buff ermine, cinnabar, silver y, beautiful golden y, female ghost swift I think (the yellow one), peppered and an orange swift plus a few others still to be identified - some of them don't give up their identity easily - might have to post some pics and ask you more experienced trappers for your help!. Oh and last night produced a cockchaffer beetle which was a surprise. Don't suppose any of these are particularly rare but am hopeful that we might have some of the more unusual, if not exactly rare, as we live on a farm, literally in the middle of a field, with a small lake at the bottom of the garden and some mature and newly planted woodland close by. Haven't yet checked what moths last night produced yet, but I could see the beetle without opening up the trap. Fascinating to see what's flying around your garden whilst you're tucked up in bed.

Eazyglider

No photo, but I had a lovely Thrift Clearwing today at the Basking Shark survey spot Porthgwarra, Cornwall which was new for the year. Hummingbird Hawkmoth, Rose Chafers (both black and green morphs), Green Hairstreak, Large Skipper, Balearic Shearwater, Basking Shark and Common Dolphin rounded off a pretty good all rounder day!

Conditions were almost ideal here last night, so I took the oppurtunity to trap at an unsurveyed woodland near me.

An absolutley cracking night which produced three macro lifers including Red-necked Footman and Rosy Marbled. More details on the blog.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 50
While visiting some relatives in western Germany, I managed to put the trap out on two nights in a large forested area (mainly Scots Pine). It rained most of the first night (15/06), but I was pleasantly surprised at the number of moths trapped (c50). The highlights were Rannoch Looper, Red-necked Footman, a few Four-dotted Footmen and a Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing.

The second night (17/06) was clear and there were a lot fewer moths in the trap, with Blotched Emerald the only new species. However, finding a Glow Worm (Lampyris noctiluca) while putting out the trap in the evening more than made up for this!

All in all, 20 to 25 species were recorded and it was an interesting introduction to moth-trapping outside of Ireland.

#1: Red-necked Footman and BBYU
#2: Northern Spinach
#3: Blotched Emerald
#4: Trap in the rain

(Hope I am right with the ID's ;))

Attachments

• DSCN1157.jpg
    DSCN1157.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN1177.JPG
    DSCN1177.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1186.jpg
    DSCN1186.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1145.JPG
    DSCN1145.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Mothing this year has been a total wash out. I finally had my first Elephant Hawk-moths of the year last night along with Privet HM and Coronet, but things are very slow.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back