• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

purple emperors Fermyn Woods (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

Does anyone know how well the purple emperors at been performing at Fermyn this year? I know the weather has been awful, but there has been a complete lack of reports from this site, on UK butterflies. I don't know if that is because there's not been enough good weather, or if they're out really late, or present in low numbers. I'm thinking of going next Sunday, which is later than I would usually go, but I don't want to go if there's very few or, if they have been out of ages, they've been out for ages and are rather tatty now.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

There have been a few sighted,but as in the rest of the country the emperor season is pretty much a no show this year,with the weather showing no sign of improvement its going to be very poor.

PH

Hi Steve

There have been a few sighted,but as in the rest of the country the emperor season is pretty much a no show this year,with the weather showing no sign of improvement its going to be very poor.

PH

Think I may give it a miss until next year then! Thanks for the reply.

Steve

I know 2 were seen at one of the outer London sites this week.

Yes,as I said,there have been a few around,but take Herts for example,sightings are down about 85% on previous years,they have not been seen at all in Broxbourne woods yet,so unless you live close by and have time to put in searching I would try later,I,ve just spent about 8 days searching most of the sites in east herts and seen 0.:-C
They have been seen in two of the territory's in mid/west herts, check Herts and midd butterfly conservation website for details,or The purple empire for country wide info.

PH

Cheers, I've put in a few shifts at Broxbourne lately with no sign. Had two White Admirals and a silver washed fritillary along with loads of Ringlet and Skippers etc.
I'll check out the sites you gave and keep posted if I find one anywhere.

Purple Emperors are one thing!...How about Purple Hairstreak?..I haven't seen any..yet!

Saw my first last Saturday on a clover leaf on a mown path through some meadow at Gutteridge Wood.As I believe they pupate in leaf litter maybe this one had recently emerged. I picked it up so it didn't get trodden on (it was cool + overscast) + placed it on an adjacent oak.

Be aware that the sites they have been seen at in Herts (Ruislip,Northaw) are assembly areas,if its pictures of grounded iris your after,you will be disappointed.
I have only seen two Purple hairstreaks this year, at Broxbourne common.

PH

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back