• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Threat to Spoon-billed sandpipers (2 Viewers)

Kits

Picture Picker
This is a worrying story. Hopefully conservationists will be able to discuss with local government agencies how to address the trapping of spoon-billed sandpipers and other migratory birds.

Full article here.

Endangered spoon-billed sandpipers arriving at their wintering grounds in China are being threatened by nets designed to trap shorebirds. ...

the study, carried out by several conservation organisations, also reported that the practice of shore-bird trapping in some of these important wintering sites for spoon-billed sandpipers and other migratory birds has worsened in recent years.

According to BirdLife International: "Illegal bird-netting now poses a major threat to spoon-billed sandpipers and other shorebirds."

Because of the 'situation' in the far east my vote...[along with many of my friends]...would be to introduce the Slimbridge spooners into the Western Palearctic...

If we could increase the numbers over here in the West they would, presumably, start using traditional European wader migration routes down into Africa...etc

Far greater chance of saving the species this way at the moment methinks...:cat:

ps...[I believe this has been considered by the birding powers that be]....

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back