• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Durham ring ousels.

Friend is staying near sunderland over weekend and wants to see ring ousels, any suggestions plz?

I'd suggest either Bolliehope or Cauldron Snout. They've been seen regularly at both sites this year. Bolliehope has been productive each visit I've made mostly locating them along the tops of any of the old quarries or in the ravine on the west side alongside the road towards Egglestone on the garssy bits - though check the east slope near to the Frosterly road juntion as well as they've been sat there too!

Ring ouzels

I'd suggest either Bolliehope or Cauldron Snout. They've been seen regularly at both sites this year. Bolliehope has been productive each visit I've made mostly locating them along the tops of any of the old quarries or in the ravine on the west side alongside the road towards Egglestone on the garssy bits - though check the east slope near to the Frosterly road juntion as well as they've been sat there too!

But be prepared for anything. Shortly after Ian had reported them on Bollihope, we went that way, hoping to see them. The weather can change rapidly in that area, and we found ourselves in a near white-out blizzard!! This wasn't all that long ago!!

But a few years ago, we had the pleasure of a Pair of Ring Ouzels in our garden - and we are nowhere near the hills of the North Pennines where they belong!! They both stayed for several days, then one left, and the other remained for the whole week. How lucky was that!! We did report it to our local Recording Officer.

Good luck. Keep your binocs and camera at the ready!!

Burdon Moor this evening, lousy weather, noted the following;
Whitethroat, Yellowhammer & Reed Bunting all carrying food to nests, 30+ Skylark, numerous Swallows including juveniles, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Curlew & Redshank all overhead, also Swift, House Martin, Meadow Pipit, Goldfinch & a family party of Willow Warblers. No sign of the drake Mandarin, only Moorhens & a Coot on the ponds. Nearby were two singing Blackcaps & a pair of Bullfinch.

Last edited:
Zinc Works Road this morning - Adult Cuckoo still around in the south side migrant bushes. Seaton Snook was very quiet with just a few Common Tern and Sandwich Tern overhead and the usual Little Tern. Ringed Plover c.20 and Redshank x2. Grey Plover x9 on the end of the Snook towards high tide.

Adult Cuckoo Zinc Works Road still this morning. Also Little Owl x3 (one juv) at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.

Greatham Creek this evening - Little Ringed Plover x3, Avocet x12 (5 adults and 7 juv), Shelduck x17, Curlew c.40, Common Tern c.20, Sandwich Tern x7, Redshank c.40, Grey Plover x4, Dunlin x3, Grey Heron x2, Little Egret x1.

Photos : 1-3. Little Ringed Plover - 4. Sandwich Tern - 5. Meadow Pipit

Attachments

• IMG_0693ao.JPG
    IMG_0693ao.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0729ao.JPG
    IMG_0729ao.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0660ao.JPG
    IMG_0660ao.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0765ao.JPG
    IMG_0765ao.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0753ao.JPG
    IMG_0753ao.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 57
Greatham Creek this evening - Little Ringed Plover influx with seven birds seen. Five of which in a group included the colour ringed one seen earlier in the week. In addition the pair on Saline Lagoon now have at least two chicks with possibly more on the way by morning. Just the Terns and a pair Lapwing to go now though they've quite a way to go yet.

Avocets still present and adults still chasing away all and sundry. This evening a flock of 11 Dunlin got a rude awakening as they were repeatedly bombarded.

A few Common Tern feeding in the Creek though still not many around.

Shelduck c.40 and Curlew c.20.

Redshank c.12.

Quite a few Swallows around as well with many still feeding nestlings whilst others with fledglings.

Also Kestrel and Grey Heron passed through.

Dormans Pool c.200 Swifts. I thought I'd found a Hobby but it was just a Kestrel passing through in a hurry. Looks a very good spot for one though.

Attachments

• IMG_0961ao.JPG
    IMG_0961ao.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1244ao.JPG
    IMG_1244ao.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0980ao.JPG
    IMG_0980ao.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0822ao.JPG
    IMG_0822ao.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1036ao.JPG
    IMG_1036ao.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 53
teesmouth yesterday afternoon
thought i would have a ride over to check on the avocet chicks,amazed how much they had grown in the week since my last visit.with several birds flapping there wings and having a go at short flights.
other birds of note on creatham were a single greenshank and a small flock of 14 dunlin,which as ian says were been harrassed by the avocets,on my return back up the creak,they had gone.
called in at back saltholme first,a small group of 8 dunlin and a single sandpiper were the only new birds.
called in at dormans were i managed a reed warbler and a single grasshopper.

Greatham Creek area this evening.

Saline Lagoon - Little Ringed Plover now with four chicks. Also Common Tern with three chicks and Grey Heron. Fox again this evening between Tidal Pool and Saline Lagoon - also present last night.

Tidal Pool - Common Sandpiper x1, Dunlin x9, Little Ringed Plover x1, Ringed Plover x1, Rock Pipit x1, Avocet five adults and seven chicks still. Shelduck x23. Also Curlew, Common Tern, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Swallow, Sand Martin and House Martin.

Greatham Creek itself - Common Tern, Curlew, Redshank plus Common Sandpiper moved onto the side of the Creek.

Photos: 1. - Common Sandpiper - 2. Common Tern - 3. Ringed Plover - 4. Linnet - 5. Little Ringed Plover chicks

Attachments

• IMG_1881ao.JPG
    IMG_1881ao.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1783ao.JPG
    IMG_1783ao.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1751ao.JPG
    IMG_1751ao.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1734ao.JPG
    IMG_1734ao.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1606ao.JPG
    IMG_1606ao.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 57
Sorry about delay on these sightings, better late than never eh. Went out for a Waterfall ramble in upper Teesdale on Saturday all waterfalls looking very powerfull, male Redstart around the swingbridge trees at bowlees showing very well with insects in its mouth, around 9.30am still in area at 5.40pm calling. Also saw Common sandpipers along the river edges from here to Cauldron snout a good number. Dippers, Grey and Pied Wagtails. Went over Birk Rigg on the way to Cauldron Snout plenty of Meadow Pipits about also a good number of Wheaters. Golden Plover, Curlew, Lapwing. Coming back passing the bracken covered sides of Raven scar just about opposite Widdybank farm two sightings of Ring Ousels perching on posts sticking out of the bracken. Near Crockley Farm Oyster Catchers and three Redshanks. Plus a good selection of the small common birds. Very enjoyable day out in Upper Teesdale shame days like this have to end.

Blackbird eating a Slug

I watched a female Blackbird in my back garden yesterday disposing of a slug. I didn't know blackbirds ate slugs. I saw it pick up the slug and wipe it back and forth across the grass, drop it, then wipe it's beak in the same way. It repeated this a few times until it started pecking pieces off and swallowing them. Wipe wipe, peck peck, another bit down the neck. It did this until it was left with about a quarter of the original slug and flew off with it, presumably to feed it to it's young. It's obviously trying to rid the slug of it's slime, but as I said earlier, I have never witnessed this before. Are slugs normal blackbird food?
Cheers, Mick.

Greatham Creek Brinefields - pm - Little Ringed Plover now two lots with chicks plus several single birds, Dunlin 15+, Yellow Wagtail, all seven young Avocets still present and correct!
Also Short-eared Owl seen hunting last night c.7.30pm using well heads for perches.

Photos : 1. Little Ringed Plover - 2.&3. Avocet chicks at 29 days old - 4. Dunlin - 5. Sparrowhawk a daily garden visitor still.

Attachments

• IMG_2486ao.JPG
    IMG_2486ao.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2666ao.JPG
    IMG_2666ao.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2681ao.JPG
    IMG_2681ao.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2725ao.JPG
    IMG_2725ao.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2942ao.JPG
    IMG_2942ao.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 77
I watched a female Blackbird in my back garden yesterday disposing of a slug. I didn't know blackbirds ate slugs. I saw it pick up the slug and wipe it back and forth across the grass, drop it, then wipe it's beak in the same way. It repeated this a few times until it started pecking pieces off and swallowing them. Wipe wipe, peck peck, another bit down the neck. It did this until it was left with about a quarter of the original slug and flew off with it, presumably to feed it to it's young. It's obviously trying to rid the slug of it's slime, but as I said earlier, I have never witnessed this before. Are slugs normal blackbird food?
Cheers, Mick.

mick i chuck any slugs i find in my garden on my hut roof for the starlings/blackies/wood pigeons/spuggies and none of them touch them..there just dry and die:eek!:

Last edited:
Thrushes are known for eating snails by smashing snail shells on rocks to get at the meat and I've seen them eating slugs in the countryside. I've seen Blackbirds a couple of times in the garden eating small brownish slugs though I can't recall seeing them eat the larger black ones - would be useful if they did though!

the worm that turned

Thrushes are known for eating snails by smashing snail shells on rocks to get at the meat and I've seen them eating slugs in the countryside. I've seen Blackbirds a couple of times in the garden eating small brownish slugs though I can't recall seeing them eat the larger black ones - would be useful if they did though!

too right they cant eat them that much as you see to many in the morning a earth worm would not last 2 mins on your garden path

"mick i chuck any slugs i find in my garden on my hut roof for the starlings/blackies/wood pigeons/spuggies and none of them touch them..there just dry and die"

Thats a public confession of your slug torturing crimes?! All that bad karma will get stored up, and your afterlife will consist of being tied to a bed made of slates and poked by red hot forks, wielded by insane giant slugs of doom!

Just wanted you to feel rosy about yer future )

"mick i chuck any slugs i find in my garden on my hut roof for the starlings/blackies/wood pigeons/spuggies and none of them touch them..there just dry and die"

Thats a public confession of your slug torturing crimes?! All that bad karma will get stored up, and your afterlife will consist of being tied to a bed made of slates and poked by red hot forks, wielded by insane giant slugs of doom!

Just wanted you to feel rosy about yer future )

yeah thanks i will have nightmares now:eek!:
did you see any ouzels last week??????

Old Hargreaves Quarry at Wynyard yesterday evening 5:30-6:30pm - Sand Martin 50+ plus Hobby - first one I've seen this year - headed south towards Blakeston Lane. Also a few Swift and Grey Heron x2.

Greatham Creek yesterday evening 7:00-8:00pm - colour ringed LRP still on Tidal Pool, Ringed Plover x3, Dunlin x7, Redshank c.12, Curlew 40+, Shelduck 40+. Avocets all present.

Short-eared Owl over Greenabella.

Dorman's Pool Swifts still present in good numbers. Previous evening one with white markings - may be worth a look again considering the Little Swift in Yorkshire.

Photos: 1. Hobby - 2.&3. Sand Martin - 4. Avocet - 5. Common Seal

Attachments

• IMG_3235ao.JPG
    IMG_3235ao.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3332ao.JPG
    IMG_3332ao.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3354aapsea.JPG
    IMG_3354aapsea.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3519ao.JPG
    IMG_3519ao.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3553ao.JPG
    IMG_3553ao.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 67
Red Note Book

If anybody is visiting Castle Lake Bishop Middleham in the next day or two i have left my red note book on the wall next to the sewage works fence if anybody picks it up i will collect.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back