• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

A few local birds from today, good to see the swallows back.

Attachments

• _MG_0809.jpg
    _MG_0809.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_0881.jpg
    _MG_0881.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_0920.jpg
    _MG_0920.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_0996.jpg
    _MG_0996.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_1037.jpg
    _MG_1037.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 63
100 not out

Scored a century of local patch birds for the year with a Grasshopper Warbler near Birtley this afternoon.
Not bad going for a relatively small area, other observers have had ten extra's (still got the cricket theme going here) including today's Osprey :t:

Spoonbill at the Calor Gas pool tonight. Was fast asleep when I left at about 8.15!

Still present this morning. On Back Saltholme at 8.30 am - viewed from Petroplus.

Attachments

• IMG_3449ao.JPG
    IMG_3449ao.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3471ao.JPG
    IMG_3471ao.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3484ao.JPG
    IMG_3484ao.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3490ao.JPG
    IMG_3490ao.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 63
3 Tawny Owl singing from nth/sth hylton,Grasshopper Warbler still reeling
from queens road southwick also another reeling bird at colima ave nth hylton
near the retail park and a singing Lesser Whitethroat at asda,washington

Barmston Pond;0450-0550.
2 Little Grebe
5 adult Mute Swan
2 Canada Goose
6 Mallard
m&f Shoveler
m&f Tufted Duck
4 Coot
3-4 Moorhen
3 Blackcap
2 Willow Wrbler
2 Chiffchaff
male Chaffinch

thro nth.hylton
3 Mallard
Shelduck
Redshank
Black-Headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-Backed Gull
Woodpigeon
Skylark
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
2 Blackcap
7 Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Linnet

Blackcap,6 Willow Warbler and 3 Chiffchaff singing from southwick

Houghton Local Patch 09

Excellent variety of species today, summer migrants really starting to pile in.

Best bird of today, was found by 2BF readers - they put me onto a stunning male Redstart flycatching along the hedgeline at NZ324477 - thanks guys :t: - i popped my head over the hedge well before the gate you mentioned & fluked a single Whimbrel feeding in that same field with 5Curlew - most probably the same Whimbrel was in the horse field west of the main pool an hour later.
Probably several birds undetected due to gusty breeze, but others around the RM's area included :-3 singing Willow Tit. Singles of singing Common & Lesser Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler(silent) & Yellow Wagtail. 2 reeling Grasshopper Warbler. Also 1 Little Ringed Plover & 1 Redpoll

Fencehouses area
2Buzzard moved south for over a mile, 3Sparrowhawk, 2 reeling Grasshopper Warbler, 5 male Common Whitethroat singing, Blackcap pair nest building

Hetton areas
Other local DBC members report 2 singing Cuckoos, (1 also heard yestday), 6Wheatear, 2Yellow Wagtail, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 brood of Coot young.

PS.
Does anyone know if the Saltholme kiddies play park is finished off yet ?

Last edited:
Mink

Hi andyg
As you will know, thats a Durham County Council owned site - best contact them.
If you can get in touch with the County Ecologist, Terry Coult, then he'll be well placed to advise, he's an expert on Otters - and its very much his local patch.:t:

Have you seen / heard of many Mink on the Browney there ?
I used to see them on & off, but they seemed to disappear when the Otters began to increase.

Always used to be / still is an excellent, compact, easily accessible birding site, especially when combined with the DWT reserve; although things always seem to be rosier when you look back.....the breeding Pied Flys & Tree Pipits of the early '90's, have sadly tailed off to next to nothing.....
cheers
Steve

Very detailed Mink info here:-
http://www.gct.org.uk/text03.asp?PageId=272

Sorry for the slow response but thanks for that Steve. Will be in touch with the county council.

Hello to everyone - after following this forum for the last 4 years i decided to join today - first of all thanks to everyone who contributes and have put me on to some great finds over the years! THANKS
Great to have caught up with you Steve at Rainton and even better that you caught up with the Restart as well - even if i am geographically dyslexic and my directions wer'nt that clear!!
only other birds of note were a pair of blackcaps far side of Joes pond
will start posting from my local patch of Pelton /West Pelton Area
all the best David A

Does anyone know if the Saltholme kiddies play park is finished off yet ?

Hi, Steve.

I paid my first visit to Saltholme today. It didn't look as if the play area is finished yet. Certainly no kids playing in it, but two or three blokes standing around looking at the ground in a meaningful way.;)

Malcolm

Hi, Steve.

I paid my first visit to Saltholme today. It didn't look as if the play area is finished yet. Certainly no kids playing in it, but two or three blokes standing around looking at the ground in a meaningful way.;)

Malcolm

This is the Birders equivalent of pot & kettle, I mean none of us would stand around looking at anything in a meaningful way would we ;)

Called at the Bus Stop hide to check on the Avocets:

At least 18 Avocets on and around the pond, another guy counted 19 just before we arrived.
Other birds included canada geese, mute swan, oyster catcher, coot, redshank, lapwing and at least 3 LR Plover on the island.

Attachments

• _MG_1160.jpg
    _MG_1160.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_1221.jpg
    _MG_1221.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_1298.jpg
    _MG_1298.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_1325.jpg
    _MG_1325.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_1358.jpg
    _MG_1358.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 64
A speed look around the Chester Le Street area produced the following vague list....

Grey Wagtail
A soaring Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Dipper
Gooseander
Mallard with 5 little baby dux

Houghton Gate had 3 pair of Shelduck acting territorial, LRP x1, 3 Redshank and Common Snipe. 5 Curlew and around 20 Lapwing.

Two Buzzard displaying over north side of A689 - Middle Swainston Plantation mid-afternoon. Two Sparrowhawk as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4010co.JPG
    IMG_4010co.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4014ao.JPG
    IMG_4014ao.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4015ao.JPG
    IMG_4015ao.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3968ao.JPG
    IMG_3968ao.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3950ao.JPG
    IMG_3950ao.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 63
Still present this morning. On Back Saltholme at 8.30 am - viewed from Petroplus.
reported to have headed off high in a north westerly direction during the morning . . . .

andyg said:
Sorry for the slow response but thanks for that Steve. Will be in touch with the county council.
you're welcome.

MalR said:
I paid my first visit to Saltholme today. It didn't look as if the play area is finished yet. Certainly no kids playing in it, but two or three blokes standing around looking at the ground in a meaningful way

Sounds like they're still making good progress then . . . .

Been reading this thread for a year or so now and most educational it's been too. Never posted before as I'm pretty new to this birding lark (very late starter) and despite enjoying the hobby I rarely see anything out of the ordinary that somebody hasn't already mentioned.
What has prompted me to post is my joy at spotting a pair of Redstart nest building in the field next to my house (in the Gaunless Valley opposite Cockfield). They've been here for 3 days now so fingers crossed that they will succeed. Sorry I cant give directions as the only place they can be seen is from my garden.

My local reserve is Low Barnes so if you see a geezer with black flat cap and grey beard that'll probably be me.

Local Patch-ers

Hello to everyone - after following this forum for the last 4 years i decided to join today - first of all thanks to everyone who contributes and have put me on to some great finds over the years! THANKS
Great to have caught up with you Steve at Rainton and even better that you caught up with the Restart as well - even if i am geographically dyslexic and my directions wer'nt that clear!!
only other birds of note were a pair of blackcaps far side of Joes pond
will start posting from my local patch of Pelton /West Pelton Area
all the best David A

Hello David
Hard to believe its 4 years . . . . but not to worry - If we keep our noses clean, then im sure we should be eligible for parole in another 3 or 4 . . . ;)

Not so sure about "geographically dyslexic" ! 3:) - More like pin point precision id say :t: - How about changing your username to The Rev GPS ? o:D
Thanks again - despite being swamped in the things last Autumn, we only ever get the odd Spring passage bird. Its without doubt the best patch bird ive seen this year, taking my tally up to #126.

Dont think we hear too much from your neck 0' the woods . . . .
Look forward to reading your Local Patch reports.:t:

Donno said:
Been reading this thread for a year or so now and most educational it's been too. Never posted before as I'm pretty new to this birding lark (very late starter) and despite enjoying the hobby I rarely see anything out of the ordinary that somebody hasn't already mentioned.
What has prompted me to post is my joy at spotting a pair of Redstart nest building in the field next to my house (in the Gaunless Valley opposite Cockfield). They've been here for 3 days now so fingers crossed that they will succeed. Sorry I cant give directions as the only place they can be seen is from my garden.

My local reserve is Low Barnes so if you see a geezer with black flat cap and grey beard that'll probably be me.

Welcome to the thread - allways good to see new local patch birders joining in :t:
Our passage migrant Redstart just isnt quite as impressive as your territorial pair . . . . & a "garden tick" too :king:
Thats a nice part of the world - was up that way a couple of Summers back & saw Little Owl with young near an abandoned farm house.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Just been catching up on the forum and caught the bit about air guns, iv had a few run ins with two lads in esh winning they dress in camoflague and walk round the village with there guns, they started to walk round my housing estate so i challenged them when i saw them looking over a few garden fences with there guns out of there bags. all i got was told where to go and the police said they ok as long as guns are in bags. So the next time i saw them i just took the dog out and followed them at a safe distance to stop them shooting, no point in phoneing police as they would have legged it and i dont know there names but when i do find out there names il report them as everyday they walk round the village dressed as soliders,

Weardale today:

Called at Frosterley first.
Chiffchaff, willow warbler, chaffinch, blue & great tits, grey & pied wagtail, dipper, mallard, kingfisher flew upstream and goosander + heron fly over.

On to Bollihope next, walked round the quary and upstream for about 3/4 mile:
Plenty red grouse & pheasant, chaffinch, willow warbler, lapwing, mipits, skylark, BH gulls, pied wagtail, single wheatear and 2 grey partridge flushed during my walk also plenty rabbits a few peacock butterflies and green tiger beetles.
No sign of ring ouzel :C.

Attachments

• _MG_1458.jpg
    _MG_1458.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_1578.jpg
    _MG_1578.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_1607.jpg
    _MG_1607.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_1719.jpg
    _MG_1719.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_1754.jpg
    _MG_1754.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back