• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

Had an Egyptian Vulture from our villa in Pollensa this evening, along with other raptors including a Golden Eagle (I seem to remember there's been an escape on the island recently??), 3 Black Vultures, a Red Kite and a Booted Eagle. I've attached a map of the ridge the birds have been flying over, but I'm not sure exactly where it is. It it the eastern edge of the Ternelles Valley?

Cheers,

Jonny

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 82
Gave Bocquer a good go this morning 0800-1000 but it was fairly quiet - in an hour or so couple of brief calls from Balearic but no definite views (Hugh - good to meet you! ..hope they showed at some point after I left ). Did have Booted Eagles, 2 Cirls, Nightingale, BR Thrush and 4 willow warblers. Around 2pm Postage Stamp wood also quiet but did see 10 Black Kites heading over Bocquer towards Pollenca . Only other thing today a single Bee Eater and Peregrine over Pto Pollensa

Son Real

Lovely day at Son Real. Two Thekla Larks in the scrub near the beach, quite a few Andouin's at the coast, a Tawny Pipit in one of the big fields on the edge of the woods, LOTS of Woodchats, quite a few singing Nightingales and a pair of Wrynecks in the woods. Also a random turtle/tortoise on the bank of one of the man-made pools, also in the woods! Not sure what that was doing there...

Last day and early along the Boquer but it was very quiet- just Booted Eagles and a distant BRThrush song flighting, and also very nice to meet Chris and talk of the CHOG, Stanpit Marsh and Hengistbury Head. After he left there was one definite call of Balearic Warbler but no visuals, unfortunately. Migrants were also thin on the ground- just Robin, Whitethroat and Nightingale. This afternoon with the family to the beach at Victoria, near Alcudia, but only Crossbills were notable. Then took the car back to Vanrell and got the bus back to PP to start packing. Our flight leaves at 1720 tomorrow to Heathrow. Thanks again to all who update this forum so regularly- Hugh Matthews

After several days crossing black kites from the tower Albercutx and not coming back, today almost at 13:30, one group of 44 black kites, has retourned from the far north area of Formentor, showing again how much do black kites have to the open sea.

Last full day on the island - unfortunately
Highlights today...
Boquer Finca - tree pipit (1 over), cirl bunting, wryneck, chiffchaff 94), willow warbler, woodchat shrike
Villa at Pollenca - black vulture, bee-eater (2)
Club Sol, C'an Curassa at 8pm - 3 spotless starling - taking trip list to 120 species

Mike Montier- Many Thanks for keeping this excellent thread going (have been following it now for a number of years); and to everyone out there, for entering their daily sightings; which always makes an interesting read in the evening. Now back to the UK weather and Brexit - ugh! Adios Espana - not a bad place at all!!

Porto Pollenca to Llenaire this morning early doors was lovely. Two red-legged partridge and two stone curlew in field just west of Hotel Uyal. Woodchat strike, song thrush, robin, usual finches in fig groves at start of Llenaire road.

Mid morning jaunt around Albufereta backroads gave plenty of familiar passerines e.g. iberiae yellow wags, corn bunting, nightingale, cisticola, Thekla lark plus hoopoe, kestrel, peregrine, cattle egret.

Limestone pavement at Albufereta was awash with mirror ophrys and several small serapias.

Many thanks to whoever posted on the Moltoni's at Cuber earlier in the week - went yesterday (14/4) at 3pm - 4pm and found a calling Male very quickly and easily! in a lonely olive on top of a 'mound' on the left of the main track, just above a small building adjacent to the dam. (much further down the track than two thirds to the dam - basically adjacent to the dam. Thanks again :)

Lots of tree sparrows at Pollentia Roman site at Alcudia this morning. Also woodchat shrike.

Es Cibollar pools this afternoon held single marbled duck, drake garganey, collared pratincole and two Temminck's stints amongst hordes of wood sands, spot shanks, avocets and stilts.

Eight spotless starlings south of Cami da la Volantina this evening. Very little at C'an Cuarassa pools. Whinchat, redstarts and stonechats at Llenaire fig groves.

Last edited:
went to Albufera this morning and it was good. Highlights were :

Little bittern feeding in open right by main road entrance gate as I left - on a platform of weed etc. Also one calling by info centre
El Cibbolar hides - as well as wood sands, stints etc reported by others had a nice spring water pipit and 3 Marbled Duck.
Sa Roca - drake Garganey
Surprise was 3 Sacred Ibis flying through ....didnt realise these were on Mallorca ?!

Hi all. Sadly back from Majorca today. Chris - we believe we saw the three Sacred Ibis on Tuesday at Albufera. They appeared to be flying round as if looking for somewhere to land and then we lost sight of them and to our knowledge didn't settle anywhere. Spoke to Marina at La Gola but she hadn't heard of any around. Would also be very interested to hear if anyone has seen them - or has photos.

Will post a few of our other records for the week when less tired.

Cheers, Tom

Early doors stroll up to postage stamp wood today. Very little about. Stonechats obvious amongst figs near Boquer entrance, also brief wryneck singing. Peregrine over, two kestrel, two song thrush and three ravens. Nothing but house sparrows and wood pigeons along pine avenue.

Early morning walk from seaplane rbt to Boquer pines. Two bee-eaters high over heading NE, booted eagle, cirl bunting, linnets, BRT heard and wryneck singing below Finca terrace.

Our weeks stay in Ports Pollenca is fast coming to an end, but what a week. 13 lifers for me and 15 for my mate Dave. The big highlight was finding a Golden Oriel at S'Albufereta, along with putting our bogey bird to bed a Jack Snipe at Albufera. A walk around the back lanes today along with a final visit to Albefura tomorrow should take us over a hundred birds for the week. Thanks to everyone for their posts and advise.

Hi all. Sadly back from Majorca today. Chris - we believe we saw the three Sacred Ibis on Tuesday at Albufera. They appeared to be flying round as if looking for somewhere to land and then we lost sight of them and to our knowledge didn't settle anywhere. Spoke to Marina at La Gola but she hadn't heard of any around. Would also be very interested to hear if anyone has seen them - or has photos.

Will post a few of our other records for the week when less tired.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom
when I saw the Sacred Ibis they also appeared to be flying around but not exactly keen to land - I did get a photo - won't win any awards but shows what they are . Will post it when back home couple of days time

Chris

For those interested in botany, the small serapias are in full splendour amongst the pines and limestone pavement at the bottom end of the Albufereta.

Hi Tom
when I saw the Sacred Ibis they also appeared to be flying around but not exactly keen to land - I did get a photo - won't win any awards but shows what they are . Will post it when back home couple of days time

Chris
We saw 3 Ibis on Friday from Sa Roca, they were well hidden in the vegetation in the centre to the right.

Mid-PM jaunt to the Albufereta. Three stone curlew on island at lagoon near mound. Female marsh harrier through, setting everything off. Two yellow wags.

Yesterday at Son Real: 3+ Tawny Pipit, 5+ Thekla Lark, 10+ Woodchat, Bee-eater, Cuckoo calling, 2 Tree Pipit, 4+ Audoin's around the coast and 3+ Scopoli's and a Balearic Shearwater offshore.

Also had a Turnstone on the rocks, how common are they here?

Our last full day so thanks to everyone for posting info.

Cheers,
Jonny

We saw 3 Ibis on Friday from Sa Roca, they were well hidden in the vegetation in the centre to the right.

These may be birds that have been around for some years. The 2011 report gives the following records: s’Albufera, 2 examples on 7 February and 3 examples on 20 October. If I remember rightly, there were 2 different subspecies, suggesting a captive origin for the birds. There don't appear to be any records for 2012, 2013 or 2015.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back