• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

Thanks Kevin. That's pretty convincing breeding behavior I reckon! I will keep going there and hope to connect. I will post on here.
Thanks to everyone who has posted their trip reports, not only very interesting but valuable information too, it's always important to know what is coming through the Island and to monitor the health and spread/decline of species.
With regard to Spectacled warblers, very few are ever seen. One or two pairs are found breeding most years, last year the best site was near the top of Puig de Teix, near Valldemosa so they seem to like the high bits. A couple of years ago two pairs were confirmed at the back of Cuber reservoir, walking towards Puig de l'offre. Other than that, they are sometimes seen on migration, one at Cap de Ses Salines and one at the dam, Cuber.
There may be others breeding but few birders venture up the highest peaks during summer.
Good birding to all when you get back home, Mike

Definitely had a male spectacle at the pool of Son Real, just to brief for a pic unfortunately. Also had what i thought was a female too.

Highlight of our last morning was a spotless starling at Can Cuarassa, and a stone curlew at the Albufereta. Highlight of the afternoon was getting to spend some time with Mike M at Salobrar de Campos! A real treat to talk about the old days and take in some nice birds too. The birds included 2 short-toed larks, 4 gull-billed terns, a whiskered tern, 2 Temminck's stints, a grey plover and 80+ greater flamingos. The flamingos were spectacular when they all took off after a plane spooked them. Thanks Mike - a great afternoon!

We went to Cap Blanc en route to the airport, but could only manage a single Cory's shearwater.

Looking forward to returning in September.

Stew

Booted Eagle passed the Sa Roca hide at Salbufera yesterday evening.

Attachments

• 7D2_8188_cr 900.jpg
    7D2_8188_cr 900.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 112
Son Real waterhole hide from 7am until 9am,visiting birds Greenfinch,Goldfinch,Chaffinch,Spotted & Pied Flycatcher
Short Toed Lark,Tree Pipit,Linnet,Hoopoe,Nightingale,Serin.
Hare also bouncing near the pond
Nice displaying Tawny Pipit and Woodchat Shrike seen from car park on my way out.
Albufera evening time,Sa Roca & Bishop hides very quiet.
Glossy Ibis Nest building viewed from Bishop 2 wooden bridge,also Night Heron perched up in same tree as were Little & Cattle Egret,Squaco Heron fly over and Osprey fishing the channel had all of the Stilts,Terns and Avocet up mobbing it.
Two Stone Curlew in the grass field next to Sa Roca hide on the way out.

Bob

Llenaire back road 7am, 6 visable Stone Curlew, several Grey headed wags, M Cirl Bunting and Purple Heron over.
Through day male Monty & 2 Eleonora's Falcon over Port de Pollenca.

Hi Kendalbirder, After you left the Llenaire Road yesterday morning I found two cracking Black headed Wagtails in amongst that loose Wagtail flock.
At S'albufera later at least 6 Glossy Ibis, Great White Egret opposite Bishop 2 hide, lovely summer plumage Curlew Sandpiper and 5 Little Stint from Bishop 1, male Redstart around Visitor Centre, Golden Eagle and single Bee-eater over.

9am to 11.45 at Albercutx tower,only vis mig were Swifts,Swallows,one nice male Redstart which landed on a rock in front of me,House Martin and Golden Oriole that flew right past me so close I could hear its wing beat.
Other local birds were Peregrine ,Pair of Raven ,Plenty of Blue Rock Thrush & Booted Eagle.
Heard Balearic Warbler in full song below me but never got onto the bird.
Could have sat up there all day in the Peace & Quiet with a nice cooling breeze to accompany the warm hazy sunshine.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I know what you mean about wanting to stay at the tower all day. It's bliss up there, very peaceful and what a view! Enjoy the rest of your birding.
Mike

Hi Mike

Its great to be back. Birding in Can Cuarassa this evening when a van full of local Birders pulled up. Sepp and friends.
Wonderful to know such great people.

Seen today nightingales, fan tailed warblers, Cetti warblers, yellow wagtails, stone and whinchats, woodchat shrikes, corn buntings and 3 Spotless starlings. No Orioles, Rollers or bee eaters (but several bee eaters flew over last night)

Its so good to be back - hope to see you soon. Beware of the Iron man contest this Saturaday with blocked roads around the North.

Hi Mike and welcome back. We have both missed some great birds. I was due to go to the tower on Saturday but I am now worried about getting there and back home again. I will try to find out what the timings are, I always get up there before first light so I may be ok. See you soon, Mike

Hello,
not sure if anybody has mentioned it but Mirella Zeeders saw two Spanish Sparrows, perhaps three, in Cala Serena, Felanitx.

https://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38903&p=46127#p46127

Regards,
Cristina.

Interesting records and I see there's some debate about them even being Italian Sparrows. From memory, wasn't there some similar debate a while back about possible hybrid house x tree sparrows that show similar features?
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Robert, nice to meet you yesterday morning, looks like you had a good day at albufera.
As regards the Black headed wags (feldgg) they are a good Balearic rarity, Grey headed (thunbergi) which are regular at this time can be very variable in depth of interpretation (sun position/ visable distance) of the charcoal crown. Its a bit of a mine field is yellow wag regional variation.
Then to add into the mix i've had in the same field moving through with (iberiae) yellow wags and the Grey headed a couple of Ashy headed (cinereocapilla) which are very like Grey headed but have obvious white throats instead of yellow.
Birding its constantly intreaging!
Many thanks for your reply, jonathan.

Mike seems that most or all of the roads around the Iron Man route don't close until 0800 on Saturday so if you arrive before then you should be OK
Think they reopen again around 1100 hrs but I will check signs again today and get back.
Hope this helps

Bob

Yesterday morning a Roller was still in the same field I had seen it last week, easily visible from the main road Can Picafort/Muro about half way between Son Bosc and the turn off to Amarador.
About 4 Bee-eaters were feeding in Son Bosc.

Thanks Bob. I will certainly arrive before 8am and won't leave until about 2pm so it looks like I should be ok. Many thanks, I hope so others make it up there, there are possibly some more Honey Buzzards to come. Mike

Early start up to Cubar to beat the Bikers,arrived at 7am but quite cold and grey with a brisk wind.
Did a circuit of the reservoir stopping for about twenty min to see if I could pick up the Moltoni Warbler,I heard them singing briefly on the path just before the main dam but distant and never got a visual on any birds.
They seemed to have relocated from the patch where they were holding territory two year ago.
Missus feeling the cold so we dropped down to Mortix for another go at the Bonellis Eagle.
Got onto two birds in flight above the high Grags on the left just as you clear the pine forest ,had them soaring around then perching up twice in the hour that we sat there.i thought one of them was being mobbed by a Crag Martin but on zooming in on the photo it was a Falcon so just shows the size of the birds
It was much warmer in Mortix too so strolled about for about three hours.
Three nice Black Vultures were giving close views overhead as we made our way back down.
Had a chat to two of the rangers just after the big stile who asked me to email them the shots I managed to get of the Eagles as they said they could make out individual birds so I will see what I can do with some massive crops and forward them on.
Mike checked road closure signs and they are closed from 0800-1130 hrs on Saturday morning.
I am heading back to Blighty then otherwise I would have had a dodge up to the Tower to meet up.
Never mind we will catch up eventually I am sure.
Good luck with the Honey Buzzards and anything else which may fly through

Cheers

Bob

A brief visit to Matistany and Depuradora ...windy up north
Birds seen included:
- Purple Heron
- Bee eaters ( > 10)
- Common and Green Sandpipers
- Black Winged Stilts
- Swifts,House Martins and Swallows
- Yellow Wagtails
- Nightingales, Cetti and Fan tailed Warblers
- Red Crested, Common Pochards, Shellducks, Shoverlers, Gadwalls

Best view was Marsh Harriers attacking the resident Goldern Eagle

Better than going to Ikea or buying blue paint!

Last edited:
maj may 2017 115 (640x448).jpgmaj may 2017 114 (640x444) (640x444).jpg

I took these pics near the Llenaire hotel last week. The bird was distant with the sun behind it making identification difficult. Now that the pics. have been edited I think it is an Icterine warbler? Can anyone confirm?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back