• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in watercolour (2 Viewers)

Oruga

Biodiversity nerd
I had been drawing animals in CG (computer graphics) for some time, but finally decided to ditch pixels and move onto traditional materials. I always preferred real drawings and paintings, yet hesitated to make them myself due to higher degree of difficulty.
Some of the first results of my journey into new territories.

Attachments

• great-kiskadee-n.jpg
    great-kiskadee-n.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 207
  • cubantody.jpg
    cubantody.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 173
  • chick03b.jpg
    chick03b.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 184
  • crownedcranes.jpg
    crownedcranes.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 172
Well it looks to be a mighty fine journey you've taken. These are all such beautiful pieces of artwork Oruga!

Lazydays, thank you for the complement! I was drawing with pencil for many years, so I have some grip on anatomy, but watercolours (and watercolour paper) provide a completely new challenge. I throw out into the garbage can quite a lot of works. It's frustrating, but I tell myself that it is natural way of learning.

After drawing single birds for a month I finally tried a group image. I chose snow bunting as a model, because I used to live behind the Polar circle and am especially partial to them.

Attachments

• snowbunting.jpg
    snowbunting.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 160
  • snowbunting-d1.jpg
    snowbunting-d1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 137
  • snowbunting-d2.jpg
    snowbunting-d2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 132
You not only have a talent for pencil work it appears you have already conquered the watercolour aspect.
Some really excellent work there,keep going.
GEORGE.

George, Nigel, thank you for the positive feedback, it inspires to not dwell on the mistakes and just draw new stuff.

I'm a bit (a lot) nervous about my next project - the splendid quetzal on Arches paper, so I will probably take a break from birds for some time and switch to mammals.
Here are the two works I think are the best among the pictures I did with watercolour so far.

Attachments

• hawfinch-ru.jpg
    hawfinch-ru.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 154
  • turnstone.jpg
    turnstone.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 166
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back