• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 10x45 RF (1 Viewer)

rebbie

Just wondering if anyone else owns a pair of these binoculars? I just got myself a pair and I am real excited to have my first pair of Zeiss binoculars! I have always been a big fan of Leica, but after doing some research on the Leica Geovid as compared to the Zeiss Victory RF, it looked like Zeiss was the clear winner! So far I have been very impressed! Any other Zeiss Victory RF owners out there?

In the RF space, the Zeiss offering certainly seems much more integrated than the big Geovid, which looks like military gear.
Either way, that Zeiss is a fancy piece of kit.
What was the driving factor in your choosing an RF pair of binoculars? I know some hunters out west use a laser RF to set their scopes to the right elevation, but presumably you have additional uses.
Any impressions on how well it meets your expectations and where these capabilities add value would be much appreciated.

In the RF space, the Zeiss offering certainly seems much more integrated than the big Geovid, which looks like military gear.
Either way, that Zeiss is a fancy piece of kit.
What was the driving factor in your choosing an RF pair of binoculars? I know some hunters out west use a laser RF to set their scopes to the right elevation, but presumably you have additional uses.
Any impressions on how well it meets your expectations and where these capabilities add value would be much appreciated.

The number 1 factor was that the Zeiss Victory RF's come with a Lifetime Warranty! The Leica's are only for 5 years. I understand the electronics on the Zeiss are only warranted for 5 years, but the glass is for Life. I had a pair of Leica Binoculars and a Leica Range Finder, but I did not like the fact that I had to carry both with me. Have a Bino/Range Finder combo makes it so easy! So far they have met my expectations! Zeiss has me hooked now!

Just wondering if anyone else owns a pair of these binoculars? I just got myself a pair and I am real excited to have my first pair of Zeiss binoculars! I have always been a big fan of Leica, but after doing some research on the Leica Geovid as compared to the Zeiss Victory RF, it looked like Zeiss was the clear winner! So far I have been very impressed! Any other Zeiss Victory RF owners out there?

I'm sure these are good for their intended hunting use, but I doubt that many birders choose the Victory RF over the Victory FL series. In birding there just isn't much need for a rangefinder and the RF come with some disadvantages that do matter to birders. For instance, the FOV is narrower, FL glass is not used so the image quality is not likely to be as good and because of the added electronics they weigh more and are more expensive than the FL. Not much to tempt a birder there.

Last edited:
The substantially higher price of the RF model would hopefully also be reflected in a somewhat greater qc effort for those units. Seen that this is a relatively rare bird, one might even wonder about a custom production line. So perhaps there are compensations to the RF's disadvantages.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the actual situation?

I don't know the actual situation, but it doesn't make much sense to me for Zeiss to start with a conventional achromat if they want the make the optics of the RF better than the FL series. It seems more likely that they consider the last degree of optical refinement to be unnecessary in a hunting rangefinder.

In looking over the specs I noticed one more disadvantage for birding. The 10x45 RF has close focus of 18' compared to 6.5' for the 10x42 FL.

Last edited:
Clearly the RF has trade offs in optical specifications, as Henri points out.
Still, a premium priced specialty product built in small series to what is apparently a custom design would normally receive unusual manufacturing care. At least imo, the RF is a bit of a Zeiss diva from the get go.

The number 1 factor was that the Zeiss Victory RF's come with a Lifetime Warranty! The Leica's are only for 5 years. I understand the electronics on the Zeiss are only warranted for 5 years, but the glass is for Life. I had a pair of Leica Binoculars and a Leica Range Finder, but I did not like the fact that I had to carry both with me. Have a Bino/Range Finder combo makes it so easy! So far they have met my expectations! Zeiss has me hooked now!

Leica offers the exact same warranty on the Geovids, so it's a non-issue. Where they have it all over Zeiss is with their "Good Will" warranty coverage. If you don't know about it, do a Google search. I've experienced both companies customer service over the years and pray you never have to deal with Zeiss!

Leica offers the exact same warranty on the Geovids, so it's a non-issue. Where they have it all over Zeiss is with their "Good Will" warranty coverage. If you don't know about it, do a Google search. I've experienced both companies customer service over the years and pray you never have to deal with Zeiss!

Sorry, Buster, can't agree with that. I've had excellent service from Zeiss on two occasions during the past three yrs. Leica seems to be hung up on an original owner model, which continues to put off this potential buyer. Zeiss, on the other hand, stands behind a lifetime transferable warranty.

Of course, that's just my take, and things are always changing I'm told. ;)

Ed

Rebbie, is there a reason why you wanted a range finder, like are you a hunter?

Ed

PS. Oops, that question was asked in post #2.

Last edited:
Sorry, Buster, can't agree with that. I've had excellent service from Zeiss on two occasions during the past three yrs. Leica seems to be hung up on an original owner model, which continues to put off this potential buyer. Zeiss, on the other hand, stands behind a lifetime transferable warranty.

Of course, that's just my take, and things are always changing I'm told. ;)

Ed

When Zeiss replaces a unit purchased secondhand with a brand new unit (within three weeks of receiving it), be sure to let me know.

When Zeiss replaces a unit purchased secondhand with a brand new unit (within three weeks of receiving it), be sure to let me know.

Zeiss rebuilt a 15 yr old, second-hand 7x42 BGAT*P for me and returned it within three weeks. It looks and works like new. No charge under the transferable warranty. Does that qualify?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back