• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF - Allbinos review (1 Viewer)

Hi Chosun,

It does sound like you've hit upon the answer, — your right eye. But note how easy it is to ascribe what you perceive to be a critical property of the instrument. And then, there's the sequence effect of having previously adapted to different instruments. The eye/brain is a great comparator but a poor judge of absolutes. This can be appreciated rather well in one of my favorite visual illusions show below. The squares marked A and B have the same RGB content but look quite different due to the surrounding context. Between adaptation and context effects I'm always suspicious of pictorial demonstrations. Graphs are also pictorial demonstrations. Go numbers!
*scribe*
Ed
Hi Ed,

I know that what we see can be very unreliable, but I think those optical illusion pictures are fairly cheeky |:p| , and maybe even a little bit scurrilous! :eek!: 3:)

Looking at them on a mobile phone, let's you zoom in, take screen shots and see the resulting histograms. There seems to be some shading added as would be cast by the cylinder. It's not until you crop right in on only a part of a square that the Grayscales line up. If the eye is easily fooled then it seems so is the camera?! :h?:
Screenshot_2016-08-11-03-40-12.jpgScreenshot_2016-08-11-03-40-12-3.pngScreenshot_2016-08-11-03-44-27.jpgScreenshot_2016-08-11-03-40-12-5.pngScreenshot_2016-08-11-03-40-12-4.png

Most intriguing was that the further I zoomed in, the harder it became to see the gorilla until it disappeared entirely! :-O hahaha

I agree about the adaptation and conditioning - I will be certain to recalibrate myself back to neutral before viewing a SLC again .... I'd like to get to the bottom of that one! :cat:

NOTE: That when I first discovered (first became aware of) my individual eyes different colour casts, I tested each barrel of each bin individually against first one eye then the other - even turning the bins upside down since I was having such trouble believing what I was seeing! Eventually the bins were ruled out and I was left with me! After I calmed down a bit from totally freaking myself out (o)< I started to think to myself - hey this is really cool :cool: ..... I've got my own inbuilt dynamic range and contrast enhancing mechanism - I kinda felt like a super-predator! :king: .... (it made a welcome change from my usual feeling of being like sabre-tooth tiger fodder with my four eyes! :)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back