• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x25 vs 10x30? (1 Viewer)

keithdrengen

Hello I had the 10x30is and it is too shaky for me. Is the 8x25is ´s stabilizing mechanism the same as the 10x30, thus making the 8x25is a bit more stable? Have you compared these two against eachother, then I am particular interested in your experience. (I read allready that the 8x25 isnt made for panning, and I can live with that).
Thanks
Carsten

Was the IS on? ;)

I find the 10x30 not all shaky with the IS on.

And I find their odd boxy shape helps my grip when the IS is off. Perhaps you have a suboptimal way of holding them?

Sancho had the 8x25.

I think it was generally agreed that they benefit the least from IS. And have a silly flat lithium battery rather than AA/LR6.

Last edited:
10x30. No contest. Apart from the lousy panning, silly battery and cheap, plasticky finish, the 8x25 leaves you feeling that you don´t really need IS at that magnification. You´d see just as steadily with a good 6x30 bino.

Hello I had the 10x30is and it is too shaky for me. Is the 8x25is ´s stabilizing mechanism the same as the 10x30, thus making the 8x25is a bit more stable? Have you compared these two against eachother, then I am particular interested in your experience. (I read allready that the 8x25 isnt made for panning, and I can live with that).
Thanks
Carsten

10x30 is easily the best of the two. 8x25 is actually kind of cheap!

The 10x30 IS binoculars are stunningly good. I find the IS works amazingly well and makes them great for astronomy as well as birding.

No, between the 10x30's, my Nikon SE 8x32's, and my Zeiss Victory 10x25's, I'm good. I've gotten rid of most of my larger binoculars because of weight issues (though I still have some Garrett 25x100's for astronomy).

I'm sure the 10x42 Canons are great but the added weight means they'd only get used at home. Besides, they cost nearly as much as all three of the bins I refer to above did en masse.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back