• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louisiana, white kitchen, and a suburban Shrike (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

My son and I drove down to my parents' house in Slidell, LA yesterday from NY. It was a decent drive and fun to watch the seasons change right before our eyes.
On our way, we counted 118 American Robins hanging out on the side of the highway from a little after the Georgia border to Birmingham Alabama. As we entered Mississippi a little off the road there was a small pond with a Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret hanging out in it. We also saw at one point a Cooper's Hawk, at which time my son thought I had said 'Pooper's' hawk.

There were a few other nice sightings on the way, but it got really interesting once we got here. My mother has been telling me lately that she has a number of different birds at her feeders lately. She has a feeling that she might be one of the only people in her huge subdivision who is feeding the birds. This morning, I looked out the window and saw the fearless American Robin out in the garden. After that I noticed some of the regulars, the Mourning Dove, Cardinals, even a couple of Mockingbirds. I noticed a couple of other bold little birds in the yard and at the feeder and realized that they were Yellow-rumped Warblers. That was neat; I'd never seen them at the feeder before. Then I saw, and mind you all, this is a subdivision, a pair of Eastern Bluebirds singing their hearts out in a tree in the back yard. I was totally amazed at what was coming to my mother's garden. The biggest shock came then; I was stepping in and out of the house, finding new birds each time, when I heard a song that was very different from any backyard birdy songs. I looked up in the tree and spotted a Loggerhead Shrike. Can you believe it?! Right in the middle of the suburbs!

Later my mother took me over to White Kitchen, one of my favorite spots. I hadn't been there since the hurricane. Holy Moly! Instead of swamp, it is lake. Trees are missing. It changed completely, but I think I might have seen one of the best varieties there, that I had seen in a long time. Common Moorhens(new to me), Henslow Sparrow(new, I am going to go back and confirm that, it might be a Le Conte's), Great Blue Heron, Grackles, and a vireo or warbler, not sure. I plan on going back within the next day or so. What a great first day this has been.

If anyone from Louisiana can suggest any place that is looking good this time of year, that would be great. Or if anyone has more info about White Kitchen, just for conversation's sake.
My folks are planning on moving in a couple of years, and this is one of my favorite places to bird in the winter. Sigh. Better get it all in now.

Thanks for listening to my little ramble,
Best
Elizabeth

I saw the loggerhead again today along with a couple of Killdeer, looking as if they were protecting their eggs.
One of the reasons I enjoy it here so much when I visit is seeing Egrets wandering around by the road in the ditches. As my husband once said, This place is lousy with Egrets.

I will be heading over to White Kitchen tomorrow morning bright and early.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back