• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lizards & Butterflies (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Red Admirals brightened the hedgerows on the warming day, sunning themselves on holly and ivy leaves and taking to the air to flit and float over fern and bracken.

Willow warblers' songs undulate in the summer air, fluty, full and round as fruit. Chiffchaffs slice through, chopping segments. Then the blast of Wren blows all to the skies.

Small skippers flicker, rapid amongst the foxgloves and grasses, searching stems for mates. Small heaths fly at their passing, floating, drifting atop billberry and through birch.

Suddenly a quick rustle and a flash of green: a Common lizard wriggles through the heather, large and bulgy: a pregnant female searching for a spot to lay. Her abdomen heaves and her unblinking eye stares.

Meadow browns and Speckled woods flutter through oaks that grow among the rocks on the slopes above the reservoir, where Oystercatchers snooze. A Sparrowhawk stoops on a Meadow pipit above the moor as a Curlew calls an alarm.

Froglets leap from a cushion of stitchwort and moss toward the steam with its Dipper decorated rocks as the gurgle of clear cold water sparks in the sunshine.

It might interest you that the last lizard I saw was slowly dying from the bite of a male adder. Unfortunately (for the adder) I disturbed it before it could have the lizard for lunch. I feel quite guilty about that. It also made us check a little more carefully where we sat for lunch on the heath!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back