• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

A few CHOGgers made a breakout across the border to the Dark Side this morning (Acres Down). No Honey Buzzard (general consensus was that they haven't arrived yet) but otherwise very successful - rather poor pics follow, plus Hawfinch, Crossbill, Redstart, Hobby, Cuckoo and Wood Warbler not photographed -

Attachments

• IMG_8534.jpg
    IMG_8534.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8537.jpg
    IMG_8537.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8542.jpg
    IMG_8542.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 56
Trouble is. compared to many of you, I see so little that is not common and so don't bother to post. I do read all the posts and sometimes wish that I was nearer to the places mentioned.

However, I can report my first hearing of the Cuckoo this year, it was somewhere in the area of Up Cerne around 10.00 this morning. ;)

Don't worry if it's not rare or unusual. Just look at many of my posts! No time now but will post later today to prove the point further. You should see the Lyme Regis thread. Even I couldn't make tales of a small group of Purple Sandpipers last so long! (Did go there to see them though)

Got a new year tick from the comfort of the house today - bullfinch. Don't know where they have been the rest of the year, suspect they've come back just in time for the cat to catch them - it's had a baby blue tit yesterday and young great tit this morning. We're not happy with it.

Attachments

• bullfinch.jpg
    bullfinch.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 46
So last night was a trip to Holt Heath for easy Nightjars. Unlike my usual sightings Chris made it sound like they were flying around in good, if dim, light. (well to my mind anyway). I was in a good mood as I parked the car and headed out onto the heath. Soon the air would be filled with nightjars, thier wingtips missing my head by centimeters. What delight!

Reality was not quite like my imaginations. It turned out to be a warm and still night. Too still. With not a breath of wind biting insects were out in force. Without the foresight to use insect repelent my vigil rapidly deteriorated into a mad dance in an attempt to ward them off. With the light fading my wanderings to find an insect free Nightjar rich spot took me from the well worn tracks. Slowly I became aware of the churring calls of grounded Nightjars. Unfortunately the only flying life were the meat eating insects that clustered around my head. (The original ones had brought freinds.)

Before long, with no moon visible, the light faded to the point of not being able to see the ground beneath my feet and without one Nightjar flying past. Depressed and irritated beyound belief by the insects and Chris' report I headed for home. Ever tried to find your way on a heath with no clear footpath and no torch? Don't.

I'm still paying for the Subalpine aren't I?

Chris you may s******. I must be the worst birder around or at least the unluckiest. Somebody please prove me wrong! Tell me your tales of woe.

PS Chris, Tarrant Rushden. Where is the entrance gate? Is it the one at windy corner or actually at TR village. (previously parked in a lay-by and don't know sight very well.) I know I'm setting myself up for another disaster but I just can't stop myself. :-O

I'm still paying for the Subalpine aren't I?

Chris you may s******. I must be the worst birder around or at least the unluckiest. Somebody please prove me wrong! Tell me your tales of woe.

PS Chris, Tarrant Rushden. Where is the entrance gate? Is it the one at windy corner or actually at TR village. (previously parked in a lay-by and don't know sight very well.) I know I'm setting myself up for another disaster but I just can't stop myself. :-O
Can't believe you had such bad luck! I had them from 9.15 ish until dark! And yes i meant Windy Corner as the entrance.

Hi all

Well its been 2 years this month since I last posted on here due to domestic pressure, teenage children, 2 jobs etc etc:-C but I've tried to keep in touch with this thread at least to remind me there is plenty to go and see locally when I do get the odd 5 mins and I'm grateful to all of you for keeping the spirit alive.:t:

Someone's pointer to the peregrines nesting in Bournemouth prompted me to pop by at 6am last week when dropping son of for an early morning commitment. On arrival the tiercel was present with breakfast until he got seen off by a a black-back. They chased around for a bit with a lot of screaming and I lost him behind one of the buildings - when he reappeared he was minus breakfast and disappeared up inside above the bell but the noise brought the falcon over to see what was going on and gave me some good photo opportunities. (Tiercel left, falcon right)

Interesting to see the different reactions to town centre birding from genuine interest to complete bewilderment. :eek!:

Attachments

• Peregrine-2.jpg
    Peregrine-2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Peregrine-1.jpg
    Peregrine-1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 49
Can't believe you had such bad luck! I had them from 9.15 ish until dark! And yes i meant Windy Corner as the entrance.

I just don't believe it! They were definitely around as I had several birds churring but absolutely nothing in the air. I stayed until 10.15 and it was pretty gloomy by then! So was I

PS I don't know why s****** warranted the asterixes (I didn't put them in) as I looked up the definition and it still means to utter a quiet and disrespectful laugh. Is there some other meaning I am missing? Or is it some automated feature of Birdforum gone wrong?

I just don't believe it! They were definitely around as I had several birds churring but absolutely nothing in the air. I stayed until 10.15 and it was pretty gloomy by then! So was I

PS I don't know why s****** warranted the asterixes (I didn't put them in) as I looked up the definition and it still means to utter a quiet and disrespectful laugh. Is there some other meaning I am missing? Or is it some automated feature of Birdforum gone wrong?

It's an automated feature - I've had this happen before - the objectionable word is the one that's removed.

Hi all

Well its been 2 years this month since I last posted on here due to domestic pressure, teenage children, 2 jobs etc etc:-C but I've tried to keep in touch with this thread at least to remind me there is plenty to go and see locally when I do get the odd 5 mins and I'm grateful to all of you for keeping the spirit alive.:t:

Someone's pointer to the peregrines nesting in Bournemouth prompted me to pop by at 6am last week when dropping son of for an early morning commitment. On arrival the tiercel was present with breakfast until he got seen off by a a black-back. They chased around for a bit with a lot of screaming and I lost him behind one of the buildings - when he reappeared he was minus breakfast and disappeared up inside above the bell but the noise brought the falcon over to see what was going on and gave me some good photo opportunities. (Tiercel left, falcon right)

Interesting to see the different reactions to town centre birding from genuine interest to complete bewilderment. :eek!:

welcome back Nigel,i am one of the new Dorset birders(and the only teen one)keep us posted on your activities:t: T.J

Cetti's warbler calling at Honeybrook farm again today - and has everyone noticed the mas arrival of painted ladies? Don't think i saw many at all last year but they were all over today.

And i've had the "snig...." word automatically removed too - crazy huh!!

Hi Nigel, rude of me not to acknowledge your post! Hope its not another 2 years before you post again.

Went to Tarrant Rushden tonight. Managed to hear at least 3 Quail in the crops near to where Chris mentioned. Didn't expect to see them so that was OK. Also plenty of Skylarks and Corn Bunting singing.

156. Nightjar (c)
157. Quail (c)

As you can see I've decided not to worry if it's visual or aural id as long as I'm certain. Mind you I'm not finished with those Nightjars. I will return...... And I will see a Cuckoo soon. And how dare you have Bullfinches in your garden, Chris. Some friends down the road from us commented last night that they regularly come to their garden! I wonder if you are sharing the same birds?

Red Kite yesterday at 9am viewed from coast road near Abbotsbury. No wing-tags could be seen. A Dorset tick!

Huh? That's not fair:eek!:

I suppose if you typed the s in white you would get the word they are sensoring when they asterisk the sni... word. Does that make sense?

Cetti's warbler calling at Honeybrook farm again today - and has everyone noticed the mas arrival of painted ladies? Don't think i saw many at all last year but they were all over today.

And i've had the "snig...." word automatically removed too - crazy huh!!

yea there has been a lot of those butterflies seen today millions in the new forest,everywhere!!

Yeah, loads of Painted Ladies here too in Poole. They migrate north from Africa at this time of year and there's been reports of hundreds of thousands passing through Spain, Italy etc. Certainly more turning up here this year than I can ever remember.

Paul.

And how dare you have Bullfinches in your garden, Chris. Some friends down the road from us commented last night that they regularly come to their garden! I wonder if you are sharing the same birds?

near Colehill library? if so could be the same!

near Colehill library? if so could be the same!

The last time I saw Bullfinches in Colehill was near the shop on Lonnen Road and my freinds with the birds live at the other end of the road. How big is a Bullfinches territory? There may be only one pair in the whole of Colehill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back