• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID: Small Green Metalic Beetle (1 Viewer)

jeff

I tend not to notice small insects and the like, but last weekend in the sunlight a small green beetle caught my eye as it ran across the path in front of me, it was a metallic green colour and was maybe 6mm in length (i think! it was small anyway compared to those big black beetles i usually see).

Anyone care to give me a clue as to what it was?

TIA

Jeff

If it ran very quickly and was metalic green with some white spots on it, then it was probably a tiger Beetle. I have mostly seen them in moorland areas, but they may be found elsewhere. i believe there are several species.
Tom

6 mm is clearly too small for any European Tiger beetle; The common green Tiger beetle species Cicindela
The description leads me to the Family Carabidae (Ground beetles), there are several species where this would fit...

Joern Lehmhus said:
6 mm is clearly too small for any European Tiger beetle; The common green Tiger beetle species Cicindela
The description leads me to the Family Carabidae (Ground beetles), there are several species where this would fit...

Thanks for the replies, i been ploughing through the web looking for beetles..... the closest i've found was Agonum marginatum which is about 8-10mm, still not 100%, but it's was something like it if not exactly the same, i'll pay more attention next time.

Check out the green leaf weevils Phyllobius spp. - although living mainly on leaves well above ground, they do often drop off and end up on the ground

Michael

jeff said:
I tend not to notice small insects and the like, but last weekend in the sunlight a small green beetle caught my eye as it ran across the path in front of me, it was a metallic green colour and was maybe 6mm in length (i think! it was small anyway compared to those big black beetles i usually see).

Anyone care to give me a clue as to what it was?

TIA

Jeff

I would love to see any Curculionid run Michael!

steve_nova said:
I would love to see any Curculionid run Michael!

Well when i say it RAN, it sort of ambled along like the big black beetles (it prob. thought it was running), but I've had a look at a few weevles and the pictures i've come across don't look quite right.

It was a small version of those big black beetles that you can't stand on cause it'll rain, but it was mettalic green and small :)

Not a very helpful description really :-(
I though how many small mettalic green beetles can there be, it shouldn't be too difficult to look up when i got home :eek!:

Agonum marginatum looks about the closest i seen picture-wise so far, but difficult to tell from those close up pictures, they look so big :)

Whatever it was it's the first one i've seen of it, i'll keep my eyes open for (it)them again, they're prob. everywhere but i'm never looking for them.

I managed to see a few more of those beetles today. He's what they really look like.

Attachments

• beetle.jpg
    beetle.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 481
Hi Jeff,
If it was feeding on that plant leaf and the plant is what I think from the photo ; a broadleafed Curled Dock (Rumex crispus or a close relative), it is probably no mint leaf beetle.

Then it would very likely be Gastroidea viridula; also named Gastrophysa viridula; I don´t know what´s the actual genus name at the moment: This species is slightly smaller and the sides of the body seem to be slightly more paralel than many Chrysolina.

From the photo I cannot safely do a determination but it looks more like G. viridula to me than like a Chrysolina.

Joern Lehmhus said:
Hi Jeff,
If it was feeding on that plant leaf and the plant is what I think from the photo ; a broadleafed Curled Dock (Rumex crispus or a close relative), it is probably no mint leaf beetle.

Then it would very likely be Gastroidea viridula; also named Gastrophysa viridula; I don´t know what´s the actual genus name at the moment: This species is slightly smaller and the sides of the body seem to be slightly more paralel than many Chrysolina.

From the photo I cannot safely do a determination but it looks more like G. viridula to me than like a Chrysolina.

Joern,

I think you could be right Green dock leaf beetle looks good, size seems about right too. They all look so similar :)

Thanks

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back