• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our first pair of nesting Osprey (1 Viewer)

Dingoblu

I became familiar with the Osprey while vacationing in the southern states last year. We would often see them while out on the water and nesting on pilings.

I live in the northern most part of NY state, and I'd seen a few nests out on the large rivers, but nothing close to home. Some wonderful soul put in a huge lightpole with a pallet on the top, near the intake for the river and it has a huge nest with a pair of Osprey now.

I was out last night with the camera, only one bird in the nest and it kept leaving and circling around me in the air whistling as I would get close to the pole. I'm planning on going out later on with my tripod and large lens to get some incredible closeups.

I was tickled really, to see the nest so close to my home. I'm sure I'll spend some time out there watching them. Hopefully I can get some pics of others when we get the boat out.

What a priviledged position to be in to have such magnificent birds so close to home.

I look forward to viewing some of your photos. Please though don't post any photos taken at or near the nest as they would contravene our Gallery guidelines.

Hopefully you may manage some flight shots or of the birds catching fish.

IanF said:
I look forward to viewing some of your photos. Please though don't post any photos taken at or near the nest as they would contravene our Gallery guidelines.

Where can I view the guidelines for the gallery? I have some pics nesting, a couple of them landing on the nest and some in flight. I'm fairly new here, why are shot of or near the nest improper? Can I share the landing shots here in the forums?

Looking forward to participating.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

The Guidelines are posted at the top of the Gallery page.

Essentially as regards nest photos they are -

'The photographs posted in the gallery should fit into the categorys listed. BirdForum gallery is for Wild, Untamed and Free-Roaming Creatures. Please do not post pictures of pets, caged or kept birds or animals.

Bird Forum does not condone the uploading of close-up taken photos of bird nests to the Gallery and requests that members do not do so. Any such photos will be deleted.
Whilst it's appreciated that such photos can be taken under licence where appropriate, we do not want to encourage any unnecessary nest disturbance which may occur by less informed members.
Nestbox photos where disturbance does not occur will be permitted as well as distant taken shots such as Osprey nests from public viewing points.

The administrators and moderators reserve the right to delete any inappropriate photos.
If in doubt, contact a moderator.'

In essence digiscoped shots of nest are permitted or those taken with very long lenses such as 500-600 mm DSLRs. If a photo is taken from a few feet away or the birds have been obviously disturbed by the presence of the photographer then the photo isn't permitted.

The flight shots shouldn't be a problem but the sots of them landing on the nest may be unless taken as above. If you think they conform to the Guidelines then by all means upload them and the Moderators will decide, but please add info as to equipment used and distance taken from.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ian. The shots I have of them landing were taken from across the road, jump the ditch and climb the hill.... I was shooting with a 170-500mm zoomed out to 500 and tripod mounted. I try to do my best to not disturb wildlife when out shooting.

I'll go ahead and maybe but a couple in the gallery, and ones I'm not sure of I'll post here. that way they wont be in the gallery, but we can still share them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back