• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roof prism binoculars easier to hold steady? (1 Viewer)

Rich N

I find I can hold roof prism binoculars steady more easily than porro prism binoculars. I think it'is because my hands are closer together when hold the roof prism binoculars.

Anyone else notice this?

Rich

Rich N said:
I find I can hold roof prism binoculars steady more easily than porro prism binoculars. I think it'is because my hands are closer together when hold the roof prism binoculars.

Anyone else notice this?

Rich

Rich,

The SE 8X32's small size and featherweight 22 ounces is a dream to hold steady for long periods of time. It's really very different than most "standard" size porros.

The best is my little EO 6X32 roof which weighs 18 ounces and fits the hand like a glove. In general, I believe lower weight contributes more to long-term comfort than shape.

Add 3mm of eye relief to the Swaro 8X32 and you might just have a perfect go-anywhere bin!

John

Rich N said:

Hi Rich,

Nice to see you posting here ...:))

Actually, I find porros somewhat easier to hold steady than roofs, provided the porros and the roofs are approximately the same weight. There's not that much difference, but especially when I'm using the bins over prolonged periods of time I also find the porros less tiring to hold steady.

However, the shape and weight are the most important factors. There are some roofs and some porros I find very difficult to hold steady, and others that seem to fit my hands much better. For instance, I never got to grips with the Swarovski EL's or the Leica 10x42BA. I just don't like their handling.

Hermann

Generally, I agree with you Rich.

But like Hermann, I just never cared for the EL's handling and the 42mm BAs were too big. I'm cursed with small hands.

Grip Comfort

Hermann said:
Hi Rich,

Nice to see you posting here ...:))

Actually, I find porros somewhat easier to hold steady than roofs, provided the porros and the roofs are approximately the same weight. There's not that much difference, but especially when I'm using the bins over prolonged periods of time I also find the porros less tiring to hold steady.

However, the shape and weight are the most important factors. There are some roofs and some porros I find very difficult to hold steady, and others that seem to fit my hands much better. For instance, I never got to grips with the Swarovski EL's or the Leica 10x42BA. I just don't like their handling.

Hermann

Hi!
Interesting. I'm the oddball here. My most comfortable to hold are the Leica 8x42 BN (although heavy) and my new Swarovski 8x32 EL's. Very different binos and I have small hands. but compared to the older Swaro SLC's or the Nikon Venturer LX's, these are most comfortable for me to hold. Maybe I have a strange way of gripping them?
Len

Hi Rich,
I agree that at least my porros are easier to hold steady than roofs. I think the reason is that my elbows can be held close to my body, hence providing more triangulation and less arm weight to support. My Nikon 8x30 and Canon 6x30 porros allow the focusing wheel to be operated from below, which helps this geometry a lot, — but I don't know if this is true of all porros in general.
elkcub

Thank you for your replies.

Hi Hermann! Glad to see you are still active in birding. I was pretty much away from it for nearly a year.

Rich
ps I forgot I started this thread or I would have replied sooner.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back