• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Violet-tailed Sunbird? Bangui today (1 Viewer)

patricklhoir

Bird lover
France
Hi all,

May you confirm that the bird on the picture is a female Violet-tailed Sunbird?

Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• xx-2.jpg
    xx-2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 64
Hi Patrick, wish I could help with the ID. Just wanted to say splendid picture.

The confusion species would be Violet-backed I think. The purplish patch on lower nape / upper back isn't what I'd expect of a female Violet-tailed looking at 'Birds of Western Africa' Borrow and Demey but I think it's one of these two.

Andy

Last edited:
If it's Eastern Violet-backed we're talking about, the female seems to be a pretty dull bird, lacking in yellow tones:

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/sunbird_eastern_violet_backed/evbs.htm

I'd be referring to Western V-b as described in the book which covers CAR but same as you Andy, I'm only going on books not experience. That purple lower nape is baffling me, that's what I might expect of an immature male but this is a female clearly?

When do we employ the hybrid theory!

Andy

I think it's a female Violet-tailed, it's an excellent match for the one by Richard Allen in the "Sunbirds" Helm Guide, with lots of yellow on the underparts and colourful above, not uniform like the Violet-backed. One I still need too!

As I'm here without any book references, I just rely on what I have in my head and on what I find through internet.
Thank you all for your replies.

What a wonderful find for you Patrick!!! And a super picture you've taken of her too.

We don't currently have any pictures of this species in the Gallery, and we'd be very grateful if you could upload your picture there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back