• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bitterns In Bali. (1 Viewer)

RobertShore

I saw a number of bitterns today at a lake in the centre of Bali. Would like to confirm their identity. I think the first is a yellow bittern, the second a cinnamon bittern and not sure the third.

Attachments

• DSC_2041.jpg
    DSC_2041.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_1997.jpg
    DSC_1997.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_1616.jpg
    DSC_1616.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 74
The third is a Black-crowned Night Heron.

The other two bitterns (note the 'r') look good to me, but I don't have much experience of them.

Hi Robert,

Balinese Bitterns, these I know from nothing!

But the third photo looks like the very familiar Black-crowned Night-heron. By the white tips on some of the wing coverts, and the breast streaking, it would be what I would call an "intermediate" bird, i.e. not in its hatch year, but not fully "adult" either.

PC.

Cross-posted with MacNara

Just back from Bali but didn't see any Bitterns I'm afraid. Lots of excellent waders though! I'd agree with the first two, Yellow and Cinnamon, and the last an immature Night Heron

Yep posted with weak internet and I was a little frustrated. I also thought Black-crowned Night Heron. Also had the 'r' but it must have autocorrected. Thanks to all who replied, I appreciated. And Foxy, did you find any good spots for birding in Bali, looking for somewhere for the next week...maybe one of the islands??

I didn't get to the islands as it was a more of a general holiday with a bit of birding thrown in. I did some birding around Ubud but nearly everything I found there I subsequently got around Nusa Dua. The waders around Nusa Dua and Serangan Island are tremendous and included various plovers: Little and Greater Sand, Javan, Mongolian. Grey-tailed Tatler, Far Eastern Curlew, Asian Dowitcher etc. 4 Kingfisher species around Nusa Dua and most of the Plovers etc in an easy walk from the hotels (I'll add detailed directions if you are interested and also a taxi driver who will take you to the right places on Serangan Island. There is also the Nusa Dua sewage works which is not as unpleasant as it sounds. we ran out of time to get there but it does sound like a good place

Thanks Foxy, that would have been perfect. I tried to go down there but the taxi driver I had got lost and had no idea where he was so I got to all the wrong places. Probably as you were typing this I was booking the rest of my time on Lombok and Nusa Perina.....just so I had a plan. However if things don't work out I will let you know or if I check travel arrangements and have time on my last day before flying out then it could be perfect email: [email protected] I did go to the National Park up in the NW...it was good birding. Many thanks

I have sent some details to your e-mail, Robert. You might not get the chance to use them but better to send them than you try and get in touch when I can't reply and you miss some good birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back