• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee Hummingbirds of Cuba! (1 Viewer)

Definitely has to be up there on the wish list - though for now those of us from the U.S. can't legally visit Cuba to see it (yes, really!). Thanks for putting this up.

Definitely has to be up there on the wish list - though for now those of us from the U.S. can't legally visit Cuba to see it (yes, really!). Thanks for putting this up.

We can visit Cuba I went in April 2011 legally and yes the little bee hummingbird is even more charming in person

We can visit Cuba I went in April 2011 legally and yes the little bee hummingbird is even more charming in person

Legally though? My understanding (which I admit could be wrong) is that US citizens can fly to Cuba via other countries relatively easily and with little chance of reprimand, but that strictly speaking this isn't legal. If there truly are legal ways to visit Cuba as a tourist, I'm very interested in learning (because I'm very interested in going!).

Well, it turns out the truth is somewhere in the middle when it comes to the legality of U.S. citizens traveling to Cuba. This makes for interesting reading: http://wikitravel.org/en/Americans_in_Cuba. Personally, I think the laws regarding this are absolutely outdated and ridiculous, and I'd travel there in a heartbeat in total disregard for those laws. It's just that there are so many places with many more hummingbirds that my wife and I haven't made it there yet.

I saw an ad in the classified section of "Winging It" the ABA newsletter about a birding trip to Cuba. I asked what the chances were of seeing the Bee hummingbird. They said they were excellent So I went. and saw him and I think there might have been a female nearby too.

When I saw him I almost had a heart attack He was so beautiful! But the big bully cuban emerald chased him away.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back