• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60 or Canon EOS 70D? (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi all I am looking into purchasing a Canon EOS 70D. Let me explain I have an SX50 but want something better for landscapes and portraits.When I say something better I mean that I am not 100% happy with the SX50 for this side of things, but am over the moon with tele shots for bird/wildlife shots.
Now the big question, I know that an SX60 is rumoured, does anyone have an idea ( given rumours on it's spec) if I would be better waiting for it to come on the market incase it would be better to have just the one camera. Or even with top spec for a bridge camera would I be better getting the 70D for landscapes and portraits, and keep the SX50 or SX60 if and when it arrives for the tele shots.

Anytime you compare a point and shoot with a DSLR it comes down to what you want.

Do you mess with aperture, shutter, ISO settings now on your sx50. if yes then a DSLR will be your way to go.
Going with a DSLR means you can keep the body for 4-5 years or longer and just buy lens you need when you need. Do you want to invest in a body now and have 4-5 years of life but need to buy lens overtime. Or do you want everything now with a much shorter 1 or 2 years of life.
DSLR has the larger sensor, this means you can do so much more with your pictures later..esp when it comes to cropping. This is what most bird photogs do with their pictures anyway. Cropping allows you to get close in the post process while remaining backed off to easily track the bird in the field..huge advantage over just optical zoom on the camera. A 70d has a cropped sensor, used mostly for people trying to get closer. Using one for landscape is not out of the question but a fullframe DSLR would be more suited for that. Canon just released a $300 10-18mm lens that will give great landscapes for a low price.
Why the 70d..why not a T5i. 70D has great video focus, wifi, high fps with a decent buffer, and the crop sensor..will you use this stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back