• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D mkii rumour mongering (1 Viewer)

Canon 7D MkII

Has anyone actually seen reliable specs on this thing?
What are we talking here:-
24MP?
Digic5?
8fps? more?
What about buffer capacity (RAW 14-bit lossless)?
UHS-II bus?
Better DR and ISO performance?
51pt AF?
Dual-sensor phase detect?
In-camera crop (1.33x)?
GPS and Wi-Fi?
1920x1080p@60fps video?
LCD? screen specs?

Anything else?

Chosun :gh:

If they were to drop in a 5D3 style AF system and use their latest sensor technology to include a low MP sensor (say around 12/13mp) so it would give decent high ISO then I would be very interested in one! They can leave all the rest the same as far as I am concerned.
But they won't fit a sensible MP sensor, the marketing people would see to that!

It had shown the current 7D as discontinued, not sure why is doesn't now. The replacement 7D II seems to be a done deal at this point.

Here are some specs for the 7D II that CanonRumors is publishing as fact:

Full metal body (EOS-1 build quality)
EOS-1 style top plate
New sensor technology (multi layer)
No Wifi built-in
Not touch screen, super durable LCD cover
12fps shooting (or faster)
Dual Pixel AF
New AF system

Read the whole article here.

I guess we will know for sure on September 5th.

Mike

^^

You still see recent posts with conflicting specs, I'll believe it when I see it and enjoy my 7d in the meantime instead of pining. A flash would fix 99% of my issues (which is high ISO performance).

The lack of wi-fi is due to the all-metal construction which interferes with signals somewhat. That explains the lack of wi-fi in the high-end models.

If they were to drop in a 5D3 style AF system and use their latest sensor technology to include a low MP sensor (say around 12/13mp) so it would give decent high ISO then I would be very interested in one! They can leave all the rest the same as far as I am concerned.
But they won't fit a sensible MP sensor, the marketing people would see to that!
I am with John here, a better AF system like the 5D3 and say, 1 to 1.5 stops better high ISO noise levels and it could be a cracker for birds when you are reach limited. I suspect they will go for a large MP sensor (prob around 24MP) which will make a significantly better high ISO performance very difficult.

I agree. I'm not interested in bells and whistles. I'm not sure there will be any real advantage by having more mega pixels. Perhaps the technical folk can weigh in here on matters of defraction limitations and whether or there will be benefit if most lenses cannot out resolve the camera? Added to that the more pixels the harder it is to freeze action if the detail is resolved.

18 mp is plenty for my needs, as many have said ISO is the key to decent shots. It may go full frame like the 5d3 but a lower camera spec and a little better than the 7d. I've not read any of the rumoured specs just pure guessing before I get blasted lol!!

The 5D3 isn't really a higher spec than the 7D. Anything where the 5D3 is better (eg the autofocus system) can be explained by the simple chronology of the 5D3 being 2.5 years newer. Thus I expect the 7D2 to be better or equal to the 5D3 in all aspects.

If the 7d2 was to be equal to a 5d3, what would be the point of it in the canon line up? But I understand where your coming from I think. The current 7d is much better than the 5d2 so I guess it's just a case of technology moving forward. A 1dx mk2 should be something special when it comes.

The 5D3 isn't really a higher spec than the 7D. .
That just about the craziest statement I have heard for a long time :-O . Having shot the 7D for four years I was its biggest fan but shooting a full frame like the 5D3 I can you that it is a far better Camera in just about every respect apart from the FPS. If you believe that a 1.6 crop Camera can come anywhere near to a Full frame Camera with regards to high ISO noise levels then I bet Canon would be willing to pay you mega bucks to tell them how lol.

Last edited:
I could have been clearer, but I meant outside of the inherent consequences of full frame vs crop. Build quality, shutter life rating, buffer size, frame per second, 100% viewfinder coverage, PC flash sync, customs functions and other software features, etc. Unlike the 70D which is clearly meant to be below the 5DIII in being APS-C and 'body spec', there's nothing you can look at and say they left off the 7D for reasons of reasons of product differentiation or cost reduction.

So I was responding to Paul J's suggestion that the 7D2 could go FF but lower-spec from the 5D3. But to do that you'd have to make a lot about the 7D2 worse than the 7D.

I was responding to Paul J's suggestion that the 7D2 could go FF but lower-spec from the 5D3. But to do that you'd have to make a lot about the 7D2 worse than the 7D.
I see :t:. I would be absolutely confident that the 7D2 will not be full frame.
I also expect it to be far and away the best APS-C Camera to date and would think that the price for early adopters will be more that I paid for my 5D3 although it could settle down to around £1500. With the starting price being about parity with the US$ we will, of course get all the boring 'rip off Britain' comments but there we go B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back