• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

There Can Be Only One! (2 Viewers)

Mushy is a good word to desribe ever other binocular compared to the Big Zeiss. I think the 56mm aperture might just be too much for the Swarovision to overcome. I will have to take my Zeiss 8x56 FL over to Sportsman's warehouse and do a comparison to the Swarovision. The Zeiss really is not much bigger than the 8x42 FL but it is heavier! Funny thing is though it is balanced so much better that it feels lighter than the Canon 10x42 L IS which is like a brick.

I managed to compare the Zeiss 8x56 FL in the store to a Swarovision 8.5x42 all under the artificial light inside the store. The big Zeiss is definitely sharper on-axis than the Swarovision and had better contrast to my eyes.The Zeiss was more transparent in the center of the field giving more of the feeling that there was no lens between you and the object you are viewing.The only advantage I could see with the Swarovision was the edge sharpness which was superior to the Zeiss and almost anything else. The big Zeiss's on-axis sharpness is uncanny being like Henry said a high quality APO scope like a Takahashi. I feel it is the best view I have seen through any binocular including the Swarovision. I personally much preferred the view through the big Zeiss and I feel it would be superior in other ways once outside like glare control because of the big 7mm exit pupil. I felt there was just more abberations in the Swarovision because of the Zeiss's aperture and focal length advantage and you notice it in the on-axis view. Surprised me. It is interesting what an advantage focal length and aperture can be in a binocular.
Some other observations about the two binoculars. The focus is really similar on both being about the same feel and tension. I really don't know what all the hoopla about the new Swarovision is the only big difference I noticed was the off-axis sharpness which has improved. The Swarovision looks about the same as the old Swarovski's. The Swarovision is very bright for a 42mm binocular but the on-axis view reminded you more than the Zeiss that you were looking through a binocular. The Zeiss seems like there is no lens in front of your eyes but rather you are just closer to the object you are looking at with less aberations. What I really noticed is how much steadier I could hold the big Zeiss because I have never directly compared two different binoculars of different weight. The Swarovision shook all over the place even at 8x. Not to detract from the Swarovision it is an excellent 42mm binocular but it hard to compete with a 56mm in the optics arena.

Last edited:
Wot? :h?:

Bob

Oh, it's an allusion from Gracian's Manual reflecting basic truth's of humankind. However, as one observer put it "... this wide pool of wisdom may also be too deep for some ships with short chains to set their anchors." 3:)
Ed

Last edited:
Oh, it's an allusion from Gracian's Manual reflecting basic truth's of humankind.

That is, the Spanish Jesuit, Baltazar Gracian, who in 1647 published Oráculo manual y arte de prudencia (roughly, Oracular Manual of the Art of Discretion.

I'd paraphrase Ed's quote as something like "that which has been enjoyed is soon discarded" or even "soon sated, soon disgusted." I'm sure this quote has nothing at all to do with binocular buying habits. |8)|

David

I´m grateful to you, Dennis, for this thread, because the image that spontaneously popped into my head on reading your first post was....Swarovision 8.5x42. (Relieved to see Kevin, Kammerdinner and Alexis were there first!;)). If I had to think hard about it, I¨d be deliberating over EII´s and SE´s, but......
I once looked through a Zeiss FL10x56, and was utterly gobsmacked. Never seen the 8x56, but I´ve no doubt all you say is spot-on. But a 56mm bino as one´s only pair....dunno.

I have not looked into this lately, but I think it would still be a Zeiss 8x32 FL. They are very bright, and light weight as well. Over all, I think the best combination. Plus, they fit very well into my hands.

I now have Zeiss 8x42 FLs which are just a bit too heavy for many occasions (like when birding is not the main purpose, or for a concert). So I have a 8x20 model for that. But if only one pair were the condition, it would be the 8x32 FL.

I should add that I came to this conclusion before Swarovision. But I don't particularly like the open hinge construction that seems to be so fashionable these days.

I have not looked into this lately, but I think it would still be a Zeiss 8x32 FL. They are very bright, and light weight as well. Over all, I think the best combination. Plus, they fit very well into my hands.

I now have Zeiss 8x42 FLs which are just a bit too heavy for many occasions (like when birding is not the main purpose, or for a concert). So I have a 8x20 model for that. But if only one pair were the condition, it would be the 8x32 FL.

I should add that I came to this conclusion before Swarovision. But I don't particularly like the open hinge construction that seems to be so fashionable these days.

Good choice! Probably my top pick for an all-around binocular too.

Last edited:
I´m grateful to you, Dennis, for this thread, because the image that spontaneously popped into my head on reading your first post was....Swarovision 8.5x42. (Relieved to see Kevin, Kammerdinner and Alexis were there first!;)). If I had to think hard about it, I¨d be deliberating over EII´s and SE´s, but......
I once looked through a Zeiss FL10x56, and was utterly gobsmacked. Never seen the 8x56, but I´ve no doubt all you say is spot-on. But a 56mm bino as one´s only pair....dunno.

Have you ever looked through a Swarovski 15x56? They will blow your ears off too.

Dennis:
I have read these posts, and I am not sure if you have made a selection.
The first post states "for birding and all around". That certainly leaves the 56mm out.

So, now does that mean the Zeiss 8x32 or the Nikon 8x30 EII?

Jerry

Dennis:
I have read these posts, and I am not sure if you have made a selection.
The first post states "for birding and all around". That certainly leaves the 56mm out.

So, now does that mean the Zeiss 8x32 or the Nikon 8x30 EII?

Jerry

All around use would have to be the Zeiss 8x32 FL. That is for all around use including traveling and concerts, etc. Probably for for all around BIRDING use the Big Zeiss 8x56 FL would be the flavor of the month for me. The Nikon 8x30 EII optically could be it because I think it is as good as the Zeiss 8x32 FL but it is not waterproof so it doesn't work when I go birding in the tropics. The big Zeiss is really not to bad to carry and I like the view better than anything I have had for birding. I think the Swarovision 8.5 x42 is a little better than the Zeiss 8x32mm FL but not quite as good as the bigger 56mm Zeiss FL IMO. Swarovski's don't fit me quite as well as the Zeiss do but the Swarovision has amazing optics and I'll bet the new 50mm Swarovision's are even better especially for raptors at a distance. Right now all I have is the big Zeiss 8x56 FL so it is my all around glass for everything. I'm probably like Henry in that I will wait and see if Zeiss updates their binoculars with some new eyepieces in the next year or so. I may pick up another 8x32 Zeiss FL in the meantime if I can get one with Lotutec for cheap just to have a lighter pair for portability. I really like how Lotutec makes your lenses easy to clean. It is so easy to get fingerprints off. I don't know how meaningful it is but Kikkerter the Norwegian test site agrees with my conclusion and has the big Zeiss 8x56 FL ranked number one over the Swarovision 8.5x42 which is number three. Also, the biggest Zeiss tests better than the 42mm and the 32mm FL which is to be expected.
If somebody asked me what is the best all around binocular for birding for THEM I would recommend the Swarovision 8.5x42 1st and the Zeiss 8x32 FL if you want something a little lighter and more compact. I wouldn't recommend the Zeiss 8x56 FL even though I find it the best optically because most people would not carry the weight.

http://www.kontoret.no/Customers/ks/documents/Tester/test8x40.pdf

Last edited:
Yep I have and I agree! I would get this before the big Zeiss.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=172564&d=1229385562

Sweet and nice on the tripod. I looked through one of those and it blew me away. What do you use it for? It would be great for raptors in open country or seabirds or astronomy if you are into that. I want to see the new Swarovision 12x50. I don't understand what they did to them to make them more stabile to hold. Must be balance or something. I sill think a 12x would be hard to hold steady.

If somebody asked me what is the best all around binocular for birding for THEM I would recommend the Swarovision 8.5x42 1st and the Zeiss 8x32 FL if you want something a little lighter and more compact. I wouldn't recommend the Zeiss 8x56 FL even though I find it the best optically because most people would not carry the weight.

http://www.kontoret.no/Customers/ks/documents/Tester/test8x40.pdf

Dennis,
I believe that congrats are in order now that you have reached that particular pinnacle of binocular guruhood where you can recommend the best binocular for birding to those who ask you!:clap:

All that is left is for you now to move to a cave high in the mountains above Denver where we can seek you out!;)

"Oh great guru! What is the answer?" "This week, my son, the answer is............"
Bob

Sweet and nice on the tripod. I looked through one of those and it blew me away. What do you use it for? It would be great for raptors in open country or seabirds or astronomy if you are into that. I want to see the new Swarovision 12x50. I don't understand what they did to them to make them more stabile to hold. Must be balance or something. I sill think a 12x would be hard to hold steady.

Dennis, I just looked through them at the shop. Brock will blame me for trying to bring this thread back up but here it is.;) BTW Dennis you should try out a Kowa Highlander sometime if you want to get a wow factor!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221

Last edited:
Dennis,
I believe that congrats are in order now that you have reached that particular pinnacle of binocular guruhood where you can recommend the best binocular for birding to those who ask you!:clap:

All that is left is for you now to move to a cave high in the mountains above Denver where we can seek you out!;)

"Oh great guru! What is the answer?" "This week, my son, the answer is............"
Bob

Ha, ha! I think the real guru is Henry Link. He is the one who actually dissects them. I rely on him for my objective testing and then I just buy them to see if he is correct.

Ha, ha! I think the real guru is Henry Link. He is the one who actually dissects them. I rely on him for my objective testing and then I just buy them to see if he is correct.

Well, Grasshopper, here's some advice from the guru. Don't be so quick to dump your spurned favorites. I recommend keeping them around for awhile as references, at least until the clouded judgement of New Binocular Fever subsides. Remember when the wide immersive field of the 8x30 EII or, a little later, when the enhanced detail retrieval of the Canon 10x42 IS were the most important virtues a binocular could have? Maybe they still are and it's only the accidental sequence of your purchases that causes the Zeiss to be your favorite now.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back