• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens selection...Canon, Tamron, Sigma? (1 Viewer)

Geordiestew

Morning. My first post.

Bird photography is something I've wanted to do for such a long time. I have 1000-1400 budget for a lens. I don't intend to buy for a couple of months as I'm stowed off with work at the moment. Body is currently a 450d but I'll be upgrading to 7d, 70d or something around that price point.

I'm sure it's been done to death, but which lens should I go for? Main target will be stationary-ish birds. Maybe in time I'd be good enough for BIF.

300mm F4 and a TC?
400mm F5.6?
100-400?
Sigma 150-500?
Sigma 50-500?
Tamron 150-600? (If it's available by then)

So torn. So many differing opinions.

I know it's probably better rolling some dice to decide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

£1000-1400 ish. Obviously don't want to overspend if possible. But if I need to go to the top of my budget or buy used to get the "best" of this bunch, then...so be it. I'll just have to wash more dishes for my wife!

I know there's also talk of a new 100-400 but they're expecting much higher cost (probably outside of my budget).

Bang for buck the canon 400mm 5.6l,the best lightweight lens with sharp optics.(I have one)

Cheers.

Steve.

Hi Stevo. Thanks. And that's certainly what I've been reading elsewhere. How do you cope with no IS? Is it an issue? I should have mentioned that I'll probably mainly handhold it.

Although I no longer have one I would certainly go for the Canon 400/5.6 myself - cracking lens and no problems handholding as long as you use the correct shutter speed.
Attached is a few shots taken with the 400/5.6, all hand held (and mostly cropped a fair bit) to give you some idea.

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 96
  • pigeon2_900.jpg
    pigeon2_900.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 100
  • goldfinch1c.jpg
    goldfinch1c.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 82
  • bluetit5.jpg
    bluetit5.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 66
  • barwit4.jpg
    barwit4.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 83
Attached are a couple of massive crops to show how well the lens captures fine detail - again both hand held. First shot shows original image and second one is the heavy crop.

Attachments

• bw3.jpg
    bw3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 120
  • bw2v2.jpg
    bw2v2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 142
  • wren_org.jpg
    wren_org.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 98
  • wren3v2.jpg
    wren3v2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Just my 2p!
Get the Canon 400 F5.6 L - it is simply the best affordable birding lens. Yes there are better lenses out there but they are MUCH more expensive - like 3 times as much for a used one!

Sorry STEVO I would disagree.
The larger/heavier lenses damps down the small movements that can blur images. Hand-holding my 800 F5.6 (IS off) at 1/500 sec is quite practical (my arms disagree!), I don't think I would have too much luck at 1/250 sec with a 400.
The point is mute really as the subjects normally demand a higher shutter speed anyway!

Last edited:
I must admit I could handhold the 300/2.8 steadier than the 400/5.6 because of the extra weight, a while back a had a little Canon SX50 'point an shoot' and trying to hold that steady was very difficult because it was so light (good job it had a 4.5 stop IS!!).
As for the 400/5.6 handholding is all about the shutter speed IMO although a good hand holding technique also helps a lot. When I had the Camera I shot in Tv mode and set the shutter speed I wanted (with auto ISO) whereas normally I would use Av mode.

Sorry STEVO I would disagree.
The larger/heavier lenses damps down the small movements that can blur images. Hand-holding my 800 F5.6 (IS off) at 1/500 sec is quite practical (my arms disagree!), I don't think I would have too much luck at 1/250 sec with a 400.
The point is mute really as the subjects normally demand a higher shutter speed anyway!

I can understand your point,in that mass equals stability because I had the sigma 300mm 2.8 prime(until focus motor packed up)I now have the canon 400mm 5.6l.

Cheers.

Steve.:t:

As Roy points out a lot of it is to do with technique, but any single lens is a compromise. The Canon 400 F5.6 seems to be one of the better ones.

How do you find the difference in IQ between the Two Steve?

Shooting wide open f5.6 with the canon the images are sharper,one thing I did find with the sigma was on a pro bodied camera such as the 1d2mkn the images were sharper,than on the 50D.Now that i've retired the mk2n in favour of the mk3 i'm getting sharp shots with the 400mm on either the mk3,or the 50D.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)

Shooting wide open f5.6 with the canon the images are sharper,one thing I did find with the sigma was on a pro bodied camera such as the 1d2mkn the images were sharper,than on the 50D.Now that i've retired the mk2n in favour of the mk3 i'm getting sharp shots with the 400mm on either the mk3,or the 50D.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)
Thanks for that Steve, interesting especially the bit about getting sharper shots on a pro body. I was reading somewhere yesterday that getting really good shots with a crop camera demands the very best optics whereas some lenses that do not perform well on the cropper will do a lot better on a FF camera, your findings seem to bear this out.

Interesting find stevo mk3 are at rock bottom at the mo and may produce cleaner images than with higher mp cameras. have you used this with a 1.4? whats the IQ like out the 400 5.6 please.

Attached are a couple of massive crops to show how well the lens captures fine detail - again both hand held. First shot shows original image and second one is the heavy crop.
Roy - those pics are superb!! I am absolutely stunned at what you have managed to do with the original images. Absolutely amazing and I can see why you have been telling me how imortant post-processing is. May I ask if you use photoshop, photoshop elements or lightroom? (I have gone for elements to start with but was just wondering?)

Thanks

Glenn

Unless I am missing it no-one has recommeded the 100-400. I am not suggesting IQ is better/worse but I think the OP should have it in the equation. There have been quite a few occassions when the zoom has been invaluable for me.
I also think the IS is important......even though some have quite rightly pointed out the 400 may not need it so much.
I will now duck behind the setee:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back