• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe (again) (1 Viewer)

Sounds like someone is prevaricating on a 2008 trip? Suspect I'll see ya there Chris!

So ditto...any words of wisdom from this year's participants would be nice

Mark

Hi Mark

Afraid not, I was there in 2005, really cannot recommend it highly enough, but unlikely to be able to go again (for a while anyway). With all the hordes of migrants going through there I just have an interest in what is seen year to year. Quiet so far this year from the looks of things ;)

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

Recommendations are always a good to have. Ta.

Just read my post (as in hand delivered mail not my waffle above) and Wildwings had 246 species in 2007 "including Ibisbill with chicks, nesting Amur Falcon, a superb selection of scrace waders, Asian Koel, Japanese Robin and Long-tailed Minivet to name a few"...not on a commission but if yer reading down there in Brissol folks...!

Here's hoping Olympic preparations don't reverberate...

Mark

Does anyone have any up to date info on logistics of getting to Happy Island/Beidaihe independently? I understand there is a good train service from Beijing, and a ferry to/from Happy Island? I am wondering about the possibility of being able to go there for a few days beginning of May next year. thankyou

Why go independently when Wildwings can look after the logistics and they have their own Chinese interpreter on the trip? Now you can go by bus to Beidaihe from Beijing. Ferry to Happy Island hardly a sea crossing but more a slow crawl through channels between mudflats. No reports from this year's trip yet on Wildwings' website so don't know how that went, but I went last year and would recommend it.

Why go independently when Wildwings can look after the logistics and they have their own Chinese interpreter on the trip? Now you can go by bus to Beidaihe from Beijing. Ferry to Happy Island hardly a sea crossing but more a slow crawl through channels between mudflats. No reports from this year's trip yet on Wildwings' website so don't know how that went, but I went last year and would recommend it.

Cheers Perry!

It was an interesting year this year, I've about finished writing up, should be on the website soon. A good year with some exceptional birds including a low circling Oriental Stork, Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher and a very elusive Streaked Reed Warbler, all are good starters!

Oh, and we got stuck on a sandbank on the way to HI, had to be rescued by another boat!

Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back