• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sirui VA-5, Manfrotto MVH 500AH or Benro S4P for the Nikon ED50..? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I need to buy a video head for my little Nikon ED50. I have a Manfrotto 701HDV head I'm very pleased with, but that one will only be used with my bigger ED82 scope in the future. The 701HDV head is not possible to order anymore, so I'm now thinking of ordering one of these instead:

- Benro S4P
- Manfrotto MVH 500AH
- Sirui VA-5

Can you recommend one of them moore than another? The Sirui VA-5 seems very interesting I think!

If i remember correctly the S4P is Arca compatible. we don't have access to that head in the states but the head is nice And the Arca system is a big plus. I have the K-20 and K-30 for photography and they are great heads, the plate system works very well. I have the Man. 500 Ah and itts a very nice head. Its not as nice as my 502 but it weighs lass than half. The thing to check is that the 50 is a very light scope and with a fixed spring counterbalance you may be fighting the head a little because they are all designed for heaver rigs.
Steve

Thanks for the help!

I have now ordered a Benro S4P because I got the impression that it'll be a nice head. Moreover, it is a light head (only 700g). It seems that (as you say) the quick plate also fits the Manfrotto 701HDV - very good! Now I only hope that the head provides silky smooth panning... :)

I changed my mind and will not buy the Benro S4 head. I red som negative reviews about it and it seems like it isn't as good and smooth as the Manfrotto 701HDV. The Manfrotto head is not possible to order anymore, so I will buy a used one instead!

Kingfisher,

I have only seen the Sirui VA-5 in the store and swung it about a bit, but not under a scope outside, so take this with a grain of salt. It was beautifully small and compact, but it felt like there was not enough fluid drag resistance for smooth pannings with a telescope. It may be excellent under a light video camera, which is what it is probably made for, but with scopes having large magnifications and narrow fields of view, my guess is it would feel too much like a head with no damping.

Instead, I'd suggest that you get the Sirui VH-10, and start using it with the ED 82, giving your 701 to the ED 50. The VH-10 is my current favorite for full-size scopes, with its compact and solid build and excellent action, together with a balance spring that is just about ideal for scopes around 2 kg in weight. Also, its top platform and mounting plate designs give more room for the focusing hand with scopes such as the ED 82 or Swaros, and that makes it very comfortable.

Kimmo

Yes, I have thought about buying a better head for the ED82 and use my 701HDV with the ED50. But I think it would be nice to have two similar heads (or even better..two identical heads) when changing back and forth between the scopes. I will have the VH-10 in mind, but I think a used 701HDV is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back