• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Driving towards Thetford on A11 from Norwich Im fairly sure I saw a pair of storks take off in the distance from a long stubble field this morning around 10.30am on the opposite side of the road from the Kilverston Estate (just 5 mins out of Thetford). Does anyone know if any of the Diss storks have been released as part of the rehab of the 22 that were rescued? Travelling very fast so didnt notice any rings.

I think it is quite possible to encounter White Storks anywhere around the county at the moment. I don't think the place near Diss are "releasing" them as this might require some sort of authorisation, but after rehabbing them I don't think they are making any effort to clip the wings, allowing them to wander.

Tim - later in the winter would be better for the corvid roost, I'd recommend January. I haven't been to Stubb Mill for a while, but again I think numbers would build up as the year goes on.

Two questions

1) Anyone tell me what is currently turning up at Stubbs mill pm as I have noticed a few searching for this info

Thanks in anticipation.

I visited Stubbs Mill roost last Wednesday at dusk. I saw around 20 Marsh Harriers, 4 Common Cranes which flew through quite low when it was getting quite dark, 3 Chinese Water Deer, a large bat, thousands of Thrushes (Redwings & Song Thrush), and thousands of Pinkfeet. Sadly no Barn Owl.

All the best, Paul.

I think it is quite possible to encounter White Storks anywhere around the county at the moment. I don't think the place near Diss are "releasing" them as this might require some sort of authorisation, but after rehabbing them I don't think they are making any effort to clip the wings, allowing them to wander.

Thanks James. I contacted Earsham WT and they did say their storks have a tendancy to 'wander off for several weeks at a time'. Introduction by stealth!? Not sure N.E. would be too on board given the efforts to stablise Lapwing and Stone Curlew populations around here. But then how else can you properly assess whether birds are fully rehabbed if not by letting the pins grow back? Great to see though.

They're being released at the Knepp Estate in Sussex - https://knepp.co.uk/reintroductions/. According the Knepp website Defra consider this to be a 're-inforcement' of naturally occurring birds from the continent.

Thanks for highlighting this. It seems to set the quite bizarre precedent that any species that occurs annually at a certain level can be released in the UK without the usual checks/permissions associated with reintroductions.

I agree, especially as recent reintroductions of cranes, corncrakes, white-tailed eagles etc led by nature conservation NGOs went through a thorough assessment process before any birds were released. Maybe the Knepp white stork project did go through an assessment process but I couldn't find anything online.

I may not get the chance to pop along to Stiffkey, but if I do can anyone help me with the parking/location for the Cattle Egrets. I went past there last week but couldn't see any obvious options for parking and paths.

Thanks

I may not get the chance to pop along to Stiffkey, but if I do can anyone help me with the parking/location for the Cattle Egrets. I went past there last week but couldn't see any obvious options for parking and paths.

Thanks

Since no-one seems to want to reply, I'll temporarily come out of retirement!
Park in the 'layby' by the flint barn at the top of the hill, Cross the road: there's a path heading down towards the copse. Follow it all the way to the flooded cow-fields (about 300m) You can get good views of the Egrets from where the path skirts south.

Thanks for responding David. Even if I don't go that way soon, the information will be useful another time. I've always wondered what that flash might hold, driven past it so many times over the years and not known where to stop to safely have a look.

Nipped over to Lynford yesterday lunchtime - three hawfinch in the paddocks, at least three firecrest in the top part of the arboretum and plenty of siskin and redwing kicking about.

GLAUCOUS GULL foraging low over Eaton Park

Norwich GLAUCOUS GULL foraging low over Eaton Park. Headed NW at 3pm 20th December 2017

Happy New Year everyone.
Please can anyone direct me to an updated birdlist for Norfolk?
I am thinking about keeping a yearlist for the first time in 20 years, but haven't found a definitive list for the county.
Thank you
Harry

Hi Harry.

I'm unaware of an uptodate Norfolk bird list online. The most recent published one was 'Checklist of the birds of Norfolk' by Keith Dye and Mick Fiszer, a small green book published as an occasional publication by NNNS and still available in visitor centre gift shops I think. Whilst it won't have the most recent additions it should be fine to keep a Norfolk year list in.

As the BOU have just adopted the IOC list (sorry for the acronyms) there will be a few changes now, for example Taiga and Tundra Bean Geese being elevated to species. More complicated splits are things like Isabelline Shrike - I think most of the Norfolk records are likely to relate to Daurian Shrike, but haven't actually been accepted by the BBRC as such so might, at least temporarily, come off the list proper and be included only as either/or.

If I get round to it I might put together an updated list, in which case I'll post it here.

Regards,

James

Happy New Year everyone.
Please can anyone direct me to an updated birdlist for Norfolk?
I am thinking about keeping a yearlist for the first time in 20 years, but haven't found a definitive list for the county.
Thank you
Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back