• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia in August (1 Viewer)

Italian46

Hello, it is my intention to go birding in Australia in August 2018 with my son and 2 friends.
Please could you give me some informations and contacts about birding guides or somebody that can help me for theese ares: Perth/Albany - Alce Springs - Sydney?
Do you know a good book about finding birds in Australia?
Thank you

Francesco Perroud
Italy

Thank you Andrew!
Is there somebody who can tell me about contacts of birding guides in the areas I mentioned?
Thanks
Francesco

Hi Francesco.

The best bird book is the recently publish Australian field guild, Clarke, Davis et al.

For Sydney you can try follow that bird http://www.followthatbird.com.au/

As Mike said, Mark Carter is good for Alice springs. I don't know any guides in Perth but I know a few birders who may know who is guiding in that area.

August pelagics from Sydney are very good, there will be lots of albatross and other good seabirds about.

Cheers.

Rob

Hi Francesco,

Have you checked out the good people of BirdingPal? I went on a short trip to Perth and Brisbane a few months back and got great advice from local birders on that site. One of them showed me around Perth for a day, including a great little spot at Victoria Reservoir with most of the SW OZ endemics. The second had to cancel at the last minute but emailed me a great two day itinerary north and west of Brisbane. I will PM you their email addresses if you're interested, or you can contact them through the website.

I found the birding pretty easy and of course the infrastructure is top notch. For a field guide consider Pizzey & Knight (the latest update is by Sarah Pizzey). It's a little on the big side but the plates are excellent and the info very up-to-date.

eBird is your friend when planning what to see where. The data coverage and density are very good for OZ and you'll have no problem identifying the best locations (for example I made a specific detour to a relatively unknown national park west of Brisbane based on recent sighting data and added a couple of species I'd missed at the regular hotspot closer to town).

Cheers,
Joost

Thank you Joost!
Yes, my son (I shall travel with him) is checking BirdingPal.
Anyway if we need those email addresses, I'll let you Know.
Thank you, again.
Francesco

My friend just spent a week with Jim Oatley who is a very reputable guide in Alice Springs and was very impressed.

https://www.facebook.com/budgiepic/

I am led to believe there are private properties you can access with Jim where other guides (perhaps) are not able to take you.

You could always do some research in the Birding Aus Archives for your intended destinations, as there is some very useful info you can come up with.

Check out all your options, I know I always do. However, I am not one for using guides. I like to do my own thing and be alone in the wilderness. That is my escape from humanity.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back