• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

Today's offering - a couple of Black-headed Gulls.

I tried to keep these simple and study the angles/shapes more. So little if any shading.

Attachments

• BHGulls1.jpg
    BHGulls1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 157
Hi Des, like the Nuthatch, Wagtail and todays Black Heads, all lovely sketches, Redshanks are just great though, really nice sketch that!

Sadly I don't seem to be losing weight on this new regime!

Perhaps you could work in time for a quick birdwatching stroll after sketching Des :)

Lucky you to work from home - I've been doing that for about 8 years now...but it's looking like I may have to go out and find a 'real' job - yikes!!

Love the bhgulls - I sketch much the same way - only adding in what I consider required detail...it's the postures and lines I'm after...

I've made a start on these three Canada Geese. Not sure whether to finish with pencil shading or to try some colour wash.

Attachments

• CGoose_WebFile1.jpg
    CGoose_WebFile1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 112
Very nice start Des, nice composition of a natural looking group. As for pencil or colour, you could try two seperate versions?

Mike

Hi Des

Love your Gulls, and your Geese. They are looking good at the moment.

I love the way you like to draw them, when are at their most active.

Look forward to seeing the results :t:

Des - the goose on the right is fantastic - entire work is incredibly natural looking...what about doing one just in pencil, one with a wash and then have a go at painting yet another version just for the fun of it? A composition this good deserves to be worked up...

My mind was made up by not being able to find my watercolour box (a good indication of how long ago it was last used!). So decided to add some colour using coloured pencil.

I'll try and get around to doing some different versions if/when time allows.
Many thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

Des.

Attachments

• CGoose_WebFile3_2.jpg
    CGoose_WebFile3_2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 102
Managed to find my water colours, so I've had a go at colour washing a Bullfinch I sketched.

Attachments

• Bullfinch_WebFile2.jpg
    Bullfinch_WebFile2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 114
Hi Des

Great pencil sketches of your Geese, and beautifully portrayed, and an all round activity shot.
The male Bullfinch - he is a beauty in the way you have presented him with your washes and paints

I am with Chris's suggestions in trying different variations using different materials. Pencil v's paints.

Why do you try to paint your subjects, then use pencil work on the same subjects you pick. So it is Paint v's Pencil and see what the results are?
It is a great way of finding out your strengths and your weaknesses. It will help you strengthen up all your abilities, and be more creative than ever.

Therefore gives a chance to build up your portfolio of your achievements, and show them here on this thread. Of course I would love to see all what you do anyday.

Wow, I have difficulty keeping up with all the fantastic artists on this Forum :eek!:
:t::t::t:

yes, yes! no stopping you now, I'm expecting great things. Your tone on the bullfinch is exemplary and so bright too! Lovely.

I re-did my Redshanks as a small 10x7" watercolour. I'm not overly pleased with it but at least it's all practice!

Attachments

• RedshanksWebFile2.jpg
    RedshanksWebFile2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back