• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

I'd like to echo what tim said- doesn't he have a way with words- and add that I think the warmth of the orange/reds really compliment the greens nicely and add a feeling of warmth to the pictuure. Well done :t:

lots of wonderful things going on in this, I can hear the loud song coming out of it - you've got that strength ringing through this - and those leaves are so lush!

Thanks folks. I'm going to have a stab at a barn owl over meadow type thing next. Off to Spain on Thursday for 10 days (yahoo!), so don't think I'll get much done before then.

Cheers,
Des.

Oh you lucky sod! Just returned from morning dog-walk into a 30 mph northerly - effing freezing. Don't forget the camera - enjoy the trip.

Yep. Camera, sketch pad and water colours. I bet the last two come back untouched, due to over indulgence of beer and tapas!

The weather's nice down here today, too nice for being stuck indoors working!

As predicted I didn't get too much done with the sketch pad, but a couple of little landscapes and some attempts to catch the Swallows circling the house (still struggling with "live" sketching though!).

Best birds of the trip were two stunning Short-toed Eagles we saw whilst we were out walking above the village of Mecina Bombaron. Circling and clashing talons with each other in mid air.

Attachments

• Web SNV30243.jpg
    Web SNV30243.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 91
  • Web SNV30238.jpg
    Web SNV30238.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Web SNV30241.jpg
    Web SNV30241.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Web SNV30242.jpg
    Web SNV30242.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Web SNV30239.jpg
    Web SNV30239.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 85
welcome back Des - splendid little landscape vignettes, full of character. Really makes me want to be there. The swallows are amongst the most difficult birds to try and catch on the wing (I'll stick to sedate old shelducks, thank you very much) but again you've made some highly commendable shapes - very convincing. Excellent stuff.

Cheers Tim. It is a lovely place to visit. One thing that struck me, was that if a "proper" artist painted some of the cloud formations we saw, you'd just dismiss them as completely wrong they were just so unbelievable. I think I know where Dali got some of his shapes from now though!

The swallows sketch is wonderful. Great job, especially because they are from life. The wren painting is very nice as well. What a great little piece of habitat!

Swallows in flight must be one of the hardest things to sketch, well done. I reckon you've made a pretty good job of it too, as Tim says, you're getting the shapes captured.

Mike

Cheers guys. It was nice to get an early spring "fix" of Swallows anyway. Quite a few Red-rumped knocking around also.

I'm working on a hunting Barn Owl landsacape at the moment.

Very nice sketches Des - looks to me like you're winning the battle of the 'live' sketching...not much struggling evident in the flight pics...

I've been working on this one on and off for a couple of weeks but managed to finish it this weekend.

Attachments

• Web SNV30244.jpg
    Web SNV30244.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back