• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

Not had anything to post for a bit, but my my Sardinian is finally done!

Attachments

• Web Sardinian02.jpg
    Web Sardinian02.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 87
Just trying another photo. First one seems a bit odd. Maybe harsh light.

Attachments

• Web Sardinian03.jpg
    Web Sardinian03.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 105
These are a few sketches of garden visitors over the weekend. I've been a bit reluctant to post them owing to the superb quality of some of the sketches posted on other threads recently.

But, this is supposed to be a "warts and all" thread, so I can get advice and chart my progress (if any!!), so here goes....

Attachments

• Web SNV30253.jpg
    Web SNV30253.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Web SNV30254.jpg
    Web SNV30254.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Web SNV30255.jpg
    Web SNV30255.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 86
These are super sketches Des. You have got the character spot on.
My old woody likes sitting in the bird bath like yours.
Keep them coming

yes, these are good, the only thing that might be lacking is confidence (the style of the line shows hesitance) - this will come with more practice. Looking forward to seeing more.

yes, these are good, the only thing that might be lacking is confidence (the style of the line shows hesitance) - this will come with more practice. Looking forward to seeing more.

I'd go along with Nick's comments. Keep on drawing and remember, it's only paper, let go a bit and free up your lines. "Use the force Des"! :t:

Mike

Ages since I've had time to do anything (but have been checking out all the excellent work posted on other threads).

Here's a Kingfisher acrylic I've done over the weekend. As ever, any hints and suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• Web_SNV30259_1.JPG
    Web_SNV30259_1.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes that really is a cracker Des! (And I can't believe I didn't comment on the other work posted - although we were in turmoil for a while and without t'internet) Lovely drawings and a super Sardy. Congrats on the artwork and congrats on the promo!

Bright and jewel like, just like the real thing. I love painting kingfishers so much that I've bought two pots of extra bright colours especially for the job!

Mike

Bright and jewel like, just like the real thing. I love painting kingfishers so much that I've bought two pots of extra bright colours especially for the job!

Mike

Would love to hear what Kingy colours you use Mike.

I think my orange was made up from, Brilliant Red and Bright Yellow, and the blue was Pthalo Blue, a bit of Cobalt Blue and White.

The two specials I use are Liquitex concentrated medium viscosity colours. Turquoise green (Pthalocyanine green) and Brilliant blue (pthalocyanine blue). They are so so strong that just a touch goes a very long way so they are to be handled with care but the green in particular is very useful for kingfishers. Just about hopeless for anything else of course!

Mike

Cheers Mike. Just had a look back in your gallery at some Kingfishers. If they're done with the colours you mentioned it's certainly a good recommendation.

Particularly love the Spixworth one. The bird, the log, the water...the lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back